HybridZ

And the retard post of the year goes to...

auxilary

I know my 97 Cobra' date=' with the shorter wheel base, 4x4 pickup stance, was more tail happy than my Camaro, maybe thats supposed to be more fun I dont know, IMO though I'd rather have something more predictable. Of course the Cobra at least didnt have dinky brakes.

[/quote']

Unfortunately they didn't fix a lot of the bugs out of the Cobras until the new '03. The only plus side of a 25 year old chassis is the availability of parts for the thing. Kenny Brown, Maximum Motorsports, and Griggs (I think?) have been working on the cars for years. Unfortunately, the car is heavy, but it doesn't feel like it. It's a blast to drive. Just putting the K+N filter on, we got squirley going from 2nd to 3rd. Its really hard not modify the thing, as the warranty won't be up for a little over 2 years.

The potential of the car is awesome. Kenny Brown took one and put his suspension package on it (Full subframe connectors, probably some new Delrin bushings, front K-member, and some other goodies.) and was beating full blown race cars out at the track (not quarter mile, the real deal; road racing) For around $35 grand, you can have a car that performs exceedingly well (and well mannered for the power) for the price, and potential that very few can match.

The power level of that car is what I want to match with my Z. I know I can get it in the handeling department, but hooking up under power is a different story. Trying to make it as comfortable and well riding might be a PITA too.

Thats one thing the Cobra had going for it, it was like driving any other car, with leather and a little HP. I had a vert FWIW, and it was a great car to own overall.

Making a Z as comfortable, I dont think a 240Z would match, I dont think its possible without giving up some spring rate, I actually find the stock springs cut 1.5 coils, and 2+2 rears (thats my current redneck setup), to be pretty decent. I do want stiffer, but a light car will not be comfy like a big car (think Caddy), the heavy car will soak up bumps more comfortably in part to its sprung to unsprung weight ratio, which is going to be hurting on a small car, as well as just sheer mass in favor of the larger car, not being upset by a bump in the same fashion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I like the new 'Stangs. Hate the old ones though. They pretty much sucked in my mind until they were made avalible with an independent rear suspention.

And there's is nothing wrong with forced induction; nothing at all! I think the new Mustang is one of Fords greatest acheivements, EVER! Also, the SVT Mustang holds 0.92g on the skidpad--or something like that... Not to shaby for a 3700lb car; although I could have sworn it was in the 3400lb range. Could be wrong though...

One more thing; even though I'm hyping the Mustang, I'm not a big fan of American muscle--but I'd take a Vette over two of any Honda any day....

Except for the NSX ofcourse.

I am at least glad to see that Ford is doing something fun for thier cars, when GM became rather bland. Yes the LS1 cars are awesome, but they dont really advertise a thing and they just dont put any oomph into things it seems.

Overall I just dont like the though of being stuck with a small engine, and having to stick a blower on it to make any real power. I made 411 RWHP with an LT1 car, LS1s can do that with a much smaller cam thanks in part to thier whup ass heads, all natural. There are 420-430 RWHP cars with small enough cams to pass smog. Stick LS6 heads on there and I imagine its possible that one could spank out 460 RWHP and pass smog in CA, but who knows. I am debating myself on wether to get one or not.

Guest bang847
Or mabe an Acura Legend. Weren't those RWD? Two of those would be nice.

Nope... those werent RWD

I think the Vigor was a RWD but the down side is that it is an oddball with 5cyls... plus the fact that it wasnt a good seller probably makes parts hard to come by...

I also believe that this car had weird problems that hondas usually dont have.. (I guess it had a weird drivetrain that honda dont usually have also.)

...probably because it is not a gutted race car or Z car (for that matter) from the 1970s. They still have to put up with DOT crash regs, etc, not to mention all the sound insulation, stereo stuff and whatnot that makes the car liveable for the silent hero who drives to work everyday instead of racing his chariot every weekend.

Davy

Guest livewire23

hey davy, don't you drive your chariot to work every day? Or am I thinking of Don? Yea, its don right? 11 sec. chariot that he drives to work everyday. I'd say that's liveable. :D wow, onto page 3 for this post. who would've guessed?

Guest Anonymous

I thought for sure the Legend was RWD. It's such a big car; What was Honda thinking! Oh, and the Vigor is mounted like it's RWD, and I could've sworn I've seen a driveshaft under one... But never mind Hondas; I could care less about those cars anyways. They're like arse-holes 'round here; everybody's got one. Mustangs were the same way; they sucked in my book. The new ones have been upgraded to cool though... Except for the V6's; they still suck! And Camaro's and Firebirds, dispite the kick-arse motor that came in the last ones, have always sucked. Ofcourse, the Vette, dspite being the sucky camaro's big brother, have always been cool. "But that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."--Denis Miller

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Damn Cracker

I live by Sears Point, and last year I went one night to go watch the ameture drags they have there. Some old guy, 50 or 60 years old, was there with his brand new zo6, he didn't even have liscence plates. A few feet after he launched, he lost control, and spun around. He slid sideways into the barrier facing the start, and totoled his car. Ouch.

That happened last night too. My friend called me from there and to let me know that some guy spun his Z06 and did something like $10,000 worth of damage. My first question was if he'd be willing to give it up if the insurance wanted to total it. First dibs on the motor. :rockon:

As to the Cobra. A simple Kenne Bell supercharger change and you're over 500HP. That's not even changing out the intake or anything else. Can't wait until the warranty is up. Talked my dad into lots of parts. Gonna be a little scary with that much power. Anywho, I feel the performance potential vs that of the Vette is much greater for the average hobbyist. When you get into full blown racing, I'm not sure. The Vette dominates the Vipers while the Mustang sits on the sidelines. Maybe this next year someone like Ken Brown will launch a new effort. Who knows.