HybridZ

Wet carpets

Wagz

I picked up another Z a few weeks ago. I haven't driven it much and it has been sitting outside in rainy Oregon. I pulled it in the garage today to work on some wiring and found that the drivers side floor pan is soaked. The passenger side is dry. It may have been that way since I bought it. It's hard to say.

Anyway, I pulled the carpet to let dry out. There are no open holes in the floorpan. The weatherstripping around the door is pretty bad, but I can't find any evidence of water coming in at the top of the doors/windows. The door panels are dry. I checked the firewall and can't find any evidence water is getting in that way.

I'm assuming that if water was coming in around the driver's door or window, the door panels or some of the trim around the door would be wet. It obviously has been happening for a while. There is significant rust on the pan. Anyway, there is a fair amount of water getting in. Would the drain holes in the pan let in much water if the rubber plugs are old and not fitting well? I'm at a loss for where it's coming from. Anyone got ideas on where to look?

Oh yeah, I would be willing to bet it came from the rain pan. You can poor water into the rain pan (have someone do it) and look under the dash and watch for leakage. It used to drive me crazy until I found out the rain pan was rusted in spots. I got some .5MM galvanized sheet metal and used a cutter to cut and shape pieces to over lap the entire under belly of the rain pan. You have to remove the dash. I rivited them on with silicon in between. I also blocked off the upper opening of the rain pan to stop excess water from getting in and then finally siliconed a sheet of heavy plastic over the opening where the windshield wiper goes to totally seal top and bottom. Overkill? Maybe...but no more wet carpets. Check out my site to see the upper rain pan closure...

CorZette :idea:

I pulled the cover over the rain pan and inspected things. There is light surface rust. I poured a fair amount of water in there and wedged myself under the dash on the drivers side. I couldn't find anywhere that was damp. Tried again. Same result. The water all appears to be draining correctly. I am probably going to seal-off the top of the rain pan anyway, get some new seals for the drivers side door/window and POR-15 the floor pans and hope for the best. Strange that I can't find an obvious source for the water when the carpet was as wet as it was....

Guest 240hybrid

I had a problem with water in my floor board in a truck I have....turned out that there was a seal for some of the wiring on the firewall that was had gone bad. Water was running off the cowl, down the firewall and going into the interior after passing the bad seal. I used some seam sealer to fill it up and havent had anymore problems since. Inspect your wire harness gruomet and all others on the fire wall, might be a source. Stupid question, is your heater core leaking or the hoses loose??

Good luck Chase :-D

Guest 240hybrid

I had a problem with water in my floor board in a truck I have....turned out that there was a seal for some of the wiring on the firewall that was had gone bad. Water was running off the cowl, down the firewall and going into the interior after passing the bad seal. I used some seam sealer to fill it up and havent had anymore problems since. Inspect your wire harness gruomet and all others on the fire wall, might be a source. Stupid question, is your heater core leaking or the hoses loose??

Good luck Chase :-D

I thought about the heater core and hoses. I couldn't find anything wrong and no dampness under the console or on the trans tunnel under the dash. I did find a little evidence of dampness on the firewall where the settering column comes through. I'll double-check those seals too. Thanks for the tip.

-Marc

Yeah, I checked the windshield seal too. I'm sure it was leaking at one time. I found that it has clear silicone sealer around most of the lower part of the windshielld. It seems to sealed well.

I went ahead and sealed and painted the cowl/rain pan area like CorZette suggested. It worked out pretty well. Here are some pictures.

I also sealed any opening I could find on the firewall and will be replacing some of the weatherstripping around the doors. I cleaned up the floor pan and painted it with 3 coats of Hammerite Rust Cap. I hope this takes care of it. I don't know what else I can do.

Guest Anonymous

All the suggestrions seem valid to me. I would determine if the door seal was bad on the drivers side compared to the passenger side and.....wala!

Beautiful job! Man I want the template you used for the center cover over the wiper motor! That looks great! Seriously how much would you charge me to have you cut another one out for me? I just used plastic but I LIKE! How about $10?

CZ :roll:

Thanks CZ,

Seriously, the templates only took about 15 minutes to make up. They're pretty basic. No problem mailing a set to you. Email me your snail-mail address in Okinawa and I'll drop em in the mail.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I got the template today! Thanks again. Now you have an investment in the Okinawa CZ! I also ordered the COMP-9 modular wiring harness today and will prob change it out AFTER I get it running the end of this month. God Okinawa sucks tail. I cant wait to get home with a garage, Lowes, and a race track etc.. :wink:

CZ Out...

Strange that I can't find an obvious source for the water when the carpet was as wet as it was....

Maybe you inadvertantly wet yourself when you purchased your Z. I know I almost did. :D

Maybe you inadvertantly wet yourself when you purchased your Z. I know I almost did. :D

THAT is a distinct possibility :oops:

CZ: Glad to hear you got the templates. Man, snail mail truly does move at a snail's pace when going to Okinawa. Let me know how they work out.