HybridZ

Someone tried to steal my 73?

Mudge

Went to start my car this morning, and my key would not go in! Long story short, I broke the tumbler starting it with a screwdriver (tumbler still works but the center part broke outwards from the twisting force).

Tore the tumbler apart once I got the car turned off at work, and I see just over a 3/4" long peice of key, and it looks like a Datsun key. If it were there, I dont see how I could have started my car all these months so easily, because I dont see how there would be space for two keys, so I can only assume that someone half hazardly tried to steal the car? However I didn't notice anything else abnormal, and unfortunately my doors wont lock. Passenger door wont lock because its not hung quite right, and the drivers side wont open from the outside anyway because the door handle is broken (it appears to be pot metal, just freaking snapped one day).

Anywho, looking at the tumbler I dont see how a 3/4" long key chunk could have been there, and me able to stick a second key in all the way, to start it, so I can only assume someone wanted my ride, and it looks like a Nizzan key.

Yep, I know that one, but this one was not like that. This is actually a replacement tumbler, from when or who I have no idea, because I found the other one in one of the back storage compartments. I tried using my trunk key before, and that doesn't work.

My trunk key is actually broken, but I had copies made of both keys, the door key/ignition copy worked ok, but I actually had to shave it down some with a dremel and cutting wheel on my own, I cannot get the trunk key to work at all so I cant open my own hatch yet :( I haven't tried for awhile though but I can go back to the locksmith someday if I can't figure it out. Part of the hatch key is broken so making a copy, was iffy.

It took enough force to get the tumbler to turn over with the screw driver that it broke outwards the center peice that holds the key, so that doesn't make me feel great, and now eventually I have to figure some kind of solution. The 3/4" end of a key looks just like a 2 sided nizzan key (or some kind of two sided key), I'm a little supprised that someone would do this with an old car, I can only assume they wanted a joy ride or maybe someone wanted to steal some worthless parts off the car, or maybe my wheels and extras. Time for wheel locks and some other stuff I guess.

As for the short term, I need to fix the door(s), maybe get a club, and as for the ignition tumbler I'm not sure. Maybe a hidden ignition switch or pushbutton somewhere, other tricks like fuel cuttoff? Hmm

I dont know how a switch would work exactly though, especially since the starter vs "on" is not the same key position, which means I'd have to do a continuity test/wire matchup to figure out what is being shorted to ground or to each other, in order mimick the key position, which means at least a 3 position switch with multiple connections. On the back of the tumbler are 5 leads, and there is a single red wire that is being used which looks like a ground hookup, however for some reason there is another red wire dangling not in use.

hey mudge the same thing happend to me kinda i had my z stored at my friend's house a few years ago(outside) and i went to go get it in the spring and it wouldn't start and i couldn't get my key in?????I looked again and saw that someone had tried to stael the car or at least start it.They used a key from one of the other z's in the yard(parts cars) and got it on but it won't start with out the right key but will turn on.Mine turned back but i didn't have a bad key in it.Sorry to hear that it's broke,If i had the key from my parts 240 i'd offer it to you but i don't think it is around anymore.I think i took it so no one would steal it too but i forgot where it went.

Good luck

No biggy, after removing the key end I put the assembled lock back, and I get a clink from the starter but no crank. I tried for awhile, so it could be that either the key wont go far enough, or its going too far, my explanation of which part is broken is probably not great. Its the rounded part right around the key itself when it goes in, so with this broken and spread apart, when you turn under force it could be blocking some travel, not sure.

I pulled the lock setup back apart, took the back part off so I can use a screwdriver and just startup like that, and for now I will remove that peice before I leave the car, although if someone knew where to look they could still jump off my wires obviously. Maybe a hidden pushbutton somewhere? Hmm

I also have an 82 ZXT car, but I am not guessing the ignition setup is the same, but maybe the tumbler could be used, guess I'll find out eventually.