HybridZ

What clutch for a turboZ

Guest jt240z

jgkurz' date='

I think I have almost the same clutch set up. It is the TimZ recipe but with an upgraded 240 mm ACT HD PP good for ~600lb-ft. CS was doing the PP upgrade for another customer, and offered me the same deal so I went for it (prolly overkill) too bad the ACT street disc is just shy of 450# which is realistically were I'll hopefully end up with.[/quote']

Yup...same clutch. Like you, I went probably went overkill and now I'm paying the price. I decided to call Robin at Superior Clutches and he sold me on a different setup. I'm going to try their HD pressure plate with full face kevlar/metallic sprung disk. He was VERY knowledgable about clutches and spent some time with me to fully understand what I was trying to accomplish. My requirements were 60% street/40% drag, autocross and track days. He understands my requirements and believes his clutch will hold the power, have no chatter and be "wife" friendly. :mrgreen: He builds the clutch very specific to the application. If I was drifting or doing more drag racing he probably would have put me in a different PP setup and disk. It almost sounds to good to be true but he comes with a great reputation so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm in the process of selling my house and moving so I'll probably do the change this winter when it's raining for months straight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents, perhaps I am going a bit off track with my issue although, please bear with me., since we are on the subject, I got a brand new Centerforce dual friction clutch kit Part # DF583402 that I purchase few years ago for my 240z, witch I was going to install on a regular L28 5Spd. Transmission (never did). Question? I just purchase a 280z with an L-28 Turbo Eng. Install along with a T-5 Transmission, can I use the centerforce that I have on hand or do I have to get a different one (different part #) since the transmission is a T-5.

Thank you,

The Centerforce part # you have me is a 225mm unit. It might hold an L28ET if the engine was stock. I highly recommend upgrading to a 240mm clutch if you plan to do any mods. I believe the input shaft splines are the same between the Datsun T-5 and the Datsun N/A 5spd.