HybridZ

Infiniti Q45 or J30 complete suspension swap possibilities!

maichor

:idea: Here is my project. 1972 240Z with an LS1 and a Velo Rossa kit. I got an R230 off eBay for $70. Of course shipping cost $50 so it wasn't an absolute steal. :)

I took measurements from the junk yard Infiniti cars here. I am pretty sure I can fit the complete J30 subframe and suspension with very little fabrication. No shortening of CV's or anything since the Track width is 58.9". From my measurements with the control arms horizontal, my stock flange to flange width is ~55" (53" at stock ride height). My Velo Rossa flares give me 5" extra width on each side. So, I can still fit 3" wider wheels and get a little deep dish look. Wheels were 7" on a stock J30, so I can fit at least 10", maybe up to 12". That would be some serious meat! :burnout:

With the J30 I would have VLSD R200, stonger stub axles, big brakes, a cool ebrake, and 5 lugs. If the shafts from inside the carrier to the flange going to the CV's is splined the same as the Q45, I can put the J30 CV shafts, stub axles and carrier shafts right into my R230 without any problems. If not I will have to shorten the Q45 shafts and use them. If anyone knows which parts exchange on a J30 and Q45, I would love to know. It would help me make a decision. Basically, Q45 and J30 setup is the same except it is 2" wider. By the way, the 240SX rear track width is also 57.9", 1" smaller than the J30 and it is only a 4 lug setup.

So, what do you guys think? I can pick up the complet J30 setup, without the R200 for $250. That, plus my R230 ($120) puts the low end cost at $370. If I have to shorten shafts, I'm looking at about $550.

Total Cost at $370 sounds great! I need input. Is this a huge mistake? If so, why. It is looking better and better to me! :2thumbs:

97Q45suspcutlg.gif

See if you can get the yard to blow torch out the rear frame area of the donor car. They might go for it since removing the subframe that way is more expedient (and a little more fun). That way you end up with the a reference (the J30 frame and attachment points for the subframe) for your fabrication.

Building up your Z's rear frame area to accept the new subframe is not going to be a simple task. But then, compared with all the work of coilovering, disc-braking and CVing of the stock Z setup, probably be less work overall. And cheaper. And you end up with that cool-ass multilink setup.

:D My thoughts exactly! I figured it wouldn't be right if I got the R230 and left the rest of the stuff alone. Heck, I have already cut the rest of the car up and made custom mounts for the LS1 etc. I think the rear end would be left out if wasn't all original too!

I know I am a glutton for punishment, but I have learned a lot by struggling throught this project and so I am not afraid to take on one more big thing. :2thumbs:

Also, I made a mistake in the math, I only have 1.5" of extra room on each side, so 10" is probably the largest rim that will fit. If I make a trip to the yard and buy this suff, I will be able to measure using a 17 X 10 rim to see how well they will fit.

• 2 weeks later...

:2thumbs: I now have motivation to do the swap! I am getting rid of my old suspension/brakes and I have an R230 VLSD from a Q45.

Why I am doing it: :roll:

1) 5 lug with tons of wheel choices

2) Cool drum ebrake inside the discs

3) Bigger brakes/vented rotors

4) R230 VLSD with CV axles

5) Strong stubs

6) BECAUSE I AM NUTS! :flamedevil:

Junk yard finds over the weekend: :D

I found that the Q45, J30 and 240SX all have different sized outer shafts. I did not have an example of the 300ZX TT. But, get this, all three share the same suspension geometry. The subframe for the Q45 is ~2" wider than the J30, and the J30 is 1" wider than the 240SX.

Here is the fun part. I took the subframe from the 96' 240SX (narrowest of the 3). I also got all of the control arms (J30 uppers and 240SX lowers) and the 240SX sway bar. I took the vented rotors from the J30t (touring model had vented discs, 92' Q45 didn't) and put them on the hubs from the Q45 (so I can use the larger diameter Q45 axles). Now, on the back of the Q45 hubs there are 4 bolts that hold the hubs to the large aluminum piece that has all of the mounting points for the upper and lower control arms. The strut mounting for the Q45 is a forked style, which is not common for aftermarket stuff and I don't know if I could find a strut like that in the length I need. So, I unbolted the Q45 hubs and bolted them onto the 240SX cast iron mounting assembly that has a standard peg attatchment so that I can use a shock/coilover from anybody. It all bolted up fine! I gave up the aluminum, but it was looking making things easier for myself later.

So, here is how it looks so far, $120 for a Q45 R230, $200 for the multilink rear IRS from the Q45/J30/240SX. Now I need coilovers, Shortened Q45 CV shafts.

:?: Where can I get shortened Q45 shafts? I need the Q45 stuff on both ends, not an adapter for the 240SX stuff. Ross C . . . ANYONE?

Guest Anonymous

Owen,

How was the fit of the CV's on the new shafts? I had them remake the set I had made because I felt the fit was sloppy and did not want the CV rattleing around on the shaft. Second set was good. They did charge me 295 for the set. When did you get yours made?

$295 was what they had listed on the Moser site for 2 "custom shafts," I think that is for new shafts. They didn't list what shortening/resplining would be. :roll:

Hey, Tim240Z, do you have contact info for Speedway Engineering? Are they also known as Speedway Motors that sell Hot Rod, Sprint, and pedal car stuff? I got my clutch master from them. Also, they can make the shafts any length, I just measure from diff flange to stub flange and that's it? Anything special I have to do? Thanks for the good info. :wink:

I will try to take pics of the whole setup next to the 240Z stuff and post them in the next few days. I still haven't decided if I want to make it even more narrow to keep the strut angles the same as stock. That would mean cutting the subframe 1 1/2" on each side and rewelding, or leaving it and angling the struts a few more degrees. What do you guys think :?:

Hey' date=' [b']Tim240Z[/b], do you have contact info for Speedway Engineering? Are they also known as Speedway Motors that sell Hot Rod, Sprint, and pedal car stuff? I got my clutch master from them. Also, they can make the shafts any length, I just measure from diff flange to stub flange and that's it? Anything special I have to do? Thanks for the good info. :wink:

:?:

Nope that's not the one. I will find the contact info and post.

Tim

I've been looking for Speedway Engineering. I found these guys:

http://1speedway.com/

I emailed asking if they could do shortened CV shafts and I got this reply. "SORRY BUT WE ARE NOT A JOB SHOP. YOU COULD TRY GEAR ENGINEERING

AT 1-323-636-2664. THANKS FOR THE MAIL, KEN SAPPER"

Is this the place that quoted you the low price of the CV's