HybridZ

Air compressor questions?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys I need some professional opinions on air compressors. I am looking into buying one soon and my main applications will be sandblasting and painting(por-15 and primer). What psi should i look for and does it matter? Im thinking about one in the $100-$150 price range. I understand the tank size matters but does the HP? Also is craftsman a reliable brand in air compressors?

Thanx

jeb

buy the biggest baddest compressor you can afford and it will likely be too small, I have a 5 hp 30gal sanbourn I have had it for jeez like 10 years never had a problem with it either but, it's too small, seems to have a hard time keeping up with some tools, like the sand blaster, or constant die grinder use, get the biggest most powerful with the largest tank you can afford, whatever you get it will likely not be powerfull enough for what you want to do with it at some point unless you get a monster $1000 shop type compressor, I have no experience with craftsman compressors but I had a hell of a time with a craftsman buffer, I will not buy any more craftsman power tools, love the hand tools though

For $150 you will be shopping the pawn shops. A good, new compressor is probably $400 or more.

If you look back through old posts you will see most guys will tell you to stay away from the Craftsman oilless units. They are tooo NOISY!!! Also I don't think they live as long.

Get a belt type with at least a 5 HP motor. Larger if you can afford it. This means you will have to go 220V. Be careful, some compressors are rated by "peak HP". Not the same thing. Best way to compare two compressors is to look at the CFM ratings.

If you don't have 220V available (and absolutely no way can you add a 220V line to your shop), then I think 4 HP is the max you can run at 110V.

A large tank means the motor doesn't have to cycle on an off as much. I think the same thing can be said for 175 PSI vs. 125 PSI. But for continuous run, Horsepower is King. If you have to go with the smaller motor, then the compressor probably won't be able to keep up with things like a sand blaster or air hammer/grinder. Thats OK, just more beer time.

One thing you can do is mount your compressor in the rafters of your garage then run copper pipe about the garage with quick disconnect fittings. Don't do like I did and use PVC pipe for compressed air (I am heading to the Depot tonight to buy copper!). Although the PVC is rated at something like 600 PSI, it is brittle and one tap can cause it to shatter and explode like a grenade.

I have a Home Depot special. 5HP, 25 gal, just barely keeps up with sandblasting. When I get around to running a 220v outlet to it, it will cycle less. For air tools it keeps up jut fine. I think it's a twin cylinder. I paid around $350 for it new. Avoid the "oil less" compressors. You are better off with the kind you have to add oil to believe it or not. Those are the ones that last the longest.

Pete