HybridZ

Edelbrock Performer 1406 Problem

Miles

Has anyone had problems with the Edelbrock 1406 Performer carb? Mine chokes up and starves for fuel after hitting bumps or breaking hard. I have had it apart three times for cleaning and float adjustment. Recently I replaced the needle valves and seats and rechecked the float adjustments. Car ran well until my son went airborn over a hump. Following the landing the engine was gasping for fuel and would quit and run in fits and spurts. I am thinking that this on-going problem is unique to Edelbrock Performer carbs.. True??

Thanks for your help

Miles

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

HI

Mine did the same thing, I ended up buying the spring loaded needle and seat setup they offer, designed for off-road use.

This cured the problem for me.

Jim

Guest Anonymous

My 1406 is scheduled to be delivered today. You guys had me worried there for a minute, after fighting those Q-jets... I didn't want to fight the Edelbrock as well. I may just put the spring loaded jets in before that bump in the road irritates me too. Thanks for the warning!

Guest Anonymous

Hi

You may as well pick up the calibration kit for it also. I have mine set up 6% rich for the primaries, power and cruise (just a rod change) and 8% rich for the secondaries. I may back down to 4% on the secondaries pending results at my next track day. Running ~ 5.5 psi. I'm running 5.0 Ford E Cam, Performer RPM Heads, Edel Air Gap intake.

BUT

If you have a fairly stock engine it will run great right out of the box.

JIm

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info jim, I'm running on flat top pistons, a mild cam (can't recall the #'s), hooker headers and I also ordered the EDL-2701 Performer EPS Intake with my carb. Hopefully I'll be happy with this setup for a while. So I can spend some $$ on paint, but that primer gray car sure can move! If you have any more set up suggestions, I'm all ears.