HybridZ

Aluminum Radiator inlet/outlet size?

Ruben

I'm getting ready to order a Ron Davis aluminum radiator and have the option of choosing the inlet/outlet size. The standard size is 1 1/2" inlet and 1 3/4" outlet. Is there any advantage to using the larger sizes out of the radiator to the smaller size of 1 3/8" into an L6 engine? Should I just order the radiator to match the engine inlet and outlet? I'm currently using a NA 280ZX engine in my 240Z and do not have any plans at the moment to go with a V8 but I always like to leave my options open.

'72 240Z

Ruben

S30Z Bushido,

No, Ron Davis Radiators does not make a radiator specifically for the S30. However, they do have one model (26163) that I think will fit perfectly for my application.

The overall dimensions are 26" x 16". This will allow me to have the largest core size width of 22" fit perfectly within the front radiator opening. With the core size height of 16" it won't hang down below the radiator frame. Because this model has the bottom tanks angled in, it will clear the frame rails.

Here is a picture.

1A-28163D.jpg

'72 240Z

Ruben

Are you running a turbo and an intercooler? If so, you may want to go with a narrower unit. The filler neck may get in the way of the radiator support hole you would use for IC plumbing. I bought a summit 25x19" aluminum radiator, and it fit between the frame rails (just barely). The problem with these aluminum radiator is the tanks are on the end instead of the top and bottom like Z radiators. I returned the Summit one and put in a 280ZX 3 row instead. Cheaper, and it fit pefect. Yea it hangs down a bit from the bottom of the radiator support, but who cares? With the tanks on the end, the inlet lingned up with the TB, not a good thing for the IC plumbing. I would have had to change it.

If you are going NA, those aliuminum radiators will work fine if you run custom hoses.

Pete

No turbo or intercooler at this time, however, those are very good points Pete. I currently do not have any plans on going turbo, but like I said before I want to leave my options open.

After checking my calculations and measurements it will be tight but I think any future intercooler plumbing should fit.

Ruben

'72 240Z

S30z Bushido,

I'm purchasing it from Ron Davis Radiators (click for website). I don't know what the final cost will be since I still have to decide on the inlet and outlet sizes. However, I was quoted $219.00 for the basic radiator, $50.00 for the dual pass option and $15.00 per inlet/outlet for size or angle change.

I'll let you know my final price when I order the radiator.

Ruben

'72 240Z