HybridZ

Welding rookie...need some advice...

Guest Azel

Hey guys.

I've spent the better part of the past month collecting books on welding and metallurgy.

I'd like to try my hand at real welding (did some minor body cut-and-paste jobs in the past) especially tig welding and would love to learn how to fab my own turbo manifolds.

I have a few questions:

1) Is TIG welding the most suitable for doing pipes?

2) I'm lost when it comes to brands. Can anyone point me out to a good welding machine that has a sub $600 price tag? No need for fancy features, just a machine that's easy for a beginner to use and get's the job done. After browsing through Ebay, I've found dozens going for $300-$600.

3) What's a good online source for SS tubing?

I know we have a few fabrication guru's in here so any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

My $.02 worth is look into the HTP welders. They have small and large welders. Mine cost $900 and is a 120vac unit (middle of the road welder from them). I bought it because of the high quality on all its internals. It's not a well recognized welder, but very good quality. http://www.usaweld.com/ will get you to their site.

Ive used a unit made by Miller that does Tig/Stick. It runs off 115V power, so its only good to about 80 amps or so, which should be plenty for exhaust work. Its only about the size of a kids lunch box, weighs maybe 20 lbs. It doesnt have high frequency, so you have to scratch start it every time, which takes some getting used too. last I saw they were going for about $750. I'll try to find one online and post a link for you.

Mike

Welders are like fine German sports cars, the more you spend the more you get. Look at what you intend on welding, tubeing for exhaust and small hobby stuff...or structural H-beams. Sure you can spend the cash and get a good Tig unit or multi-process unit from any of the big names. My angle is this, if your only concern is basic hobby stuff look at the CHEAP harbor-frieght.com welders. Most units from Chicago Electric will run you under $300.00 and allow wire of 0.035 solid or flux cored. Wire is the best for fast fab and you'll get enough penetration for tube and such. The duty cycle is only 10% at best and you pay for duty cycle. I have a 250 lincwelder that I use at work (it has to be older than my father) and the duty cycle is only rated at: 140 amps 100%, 200 amps 50%, and 250 amps 30%. The cost vs. benifit factor should allow the H-F unit to run for several years without fault. I use one for tacking and small quick jobs. Just one mans opinion. Mike

Guest Your Car is Slow

Id recommend taking a welding class at a local community college (im starting mine here next month)....cheap...and well worth it!

One question...why do you have the need to weld SS? Mig welding can do anything except SS and the systems are a good bit less than tig.

Carbon steel will work just as good as SS will IMO.

The recommended welding class at a local community college is good advice. Reading about the techniques is good but until you are in an enviroment that you can practice them your still in a green situation. You can mig SS (GMAW) and get same results as solid wire steel. There are advantages to SS but usually cost is greater. If you do use SS use solid wire with a sutable gas, as SS flux cored wire is about 100 times greater in cost. Mike

Guest JAMIE T

Just get a welder and use it. I weld probably 6 hours a day of my 8 hours of work. I use a Miller Syncrowave 351 TIG welder. A Millermatic 250 MIG unit with a spool gun for welding aluminum. I have a Millermatic 135 MIG welder at home. I chose the small unit for home so I can move it around to reach areas of the car. It's not a big deal since if I need to weld anything thicker than 1/4", I just take it to work.

BTW, Stainless welds fine with a MIG set-up. You just need a spool of SS wire and the right gas. Tri-mix (CO2, Helium, argon).

Thanks for the great info guys.!

I'm strapped right now so I can't afford anything over $300. I think I'll take a look around Ebay and take a chance with one of those $200 welders. As I said, I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something I can learn with.

I asked about welding SS because I'm looking to learn how to weld turbo manifolds. As far as strength and cool factor, SS seems to be the way to go.

Now, where could I buy carbon steel or SS pipes online?