HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #8

Zack now has headers and a drive shaft. Drivetrain is now mechanically complete. Everything is an unbelievably tight fit but it all fits. The headers just clear the steering gear arm on the drivers side and the frame rail on the pasenger side - fuel lines will have to be rerouted. Everything clears by about 1/4". The rear transmission mount is a modified torque tube design that ties the transmissioon to the differential. Have photos of the headers but not of the tranny mount yet but - - - they are over 400k in size each so I can't post. Aslo don't have web site up yet. If anyone is really interested let me know and I'll see if I can send a few.

Can you believe I'm just waiting on guages to drive mine? I can't - seems like such a stupid thing. A detail. I did drive it around the block - that was pretty thrilling. Very glad the clutch works - I was worried about the freaky slave setup.

I'm too poor to pony up the $150 for EFILive, so I am only able to use it in the 15second shareware mode. It doesn't register any oil pressure. So, that has me worried. I have a location for the FBody guage-pod circuit board scouted. And I have one set of gauges (oil and temp) assembled, the other 3 partly so. Probably 8-10 hours of work left.

The wait is killing me.

I know what you mean Jeromio...Can't wait to drive for the first time

Last weekend i actually got it to start...little problems with the wireing but after awile wrrrummm it started up!!!!

I almost pissed my pants when it came to life...no exhaust yet!

I have some pics posted...these were taken about 2 weeks ago so i have gotten alot farther. I will talk to my buddy to see if he can grab his digital cam again...maybe I'll have some video. Any requests on photo shots???

Check it out

http://fp2k.redshift.com/briguy280z/

Things got alittle close in places it was really hard to fit it in there.

Briguy280Z

I didn't have my computer programmed. The reason is that i can make a circuit produce the 5v 50hz square wave to satisfy the PCM security circuit. Alot cheaper around 10 bucks than $300 to have it programmed. One of the main reason is thats its cheap the other is when i go to CARB to get registration I am sure they are going to ask how i bypassed the VATS, if i responed as "Well I UH UH reprogrammed....What! thats Illegal?" Just didnt want to take the chance. So everything sofar is as legal as possable!! All i have left is to convince him of that!!!

Good luck on the wireing...that was a PITA. One thing to remember is that the PCM goes to ground. The datsun wireing goes to power. Kind of the opposite if you want to tie into the datsun stuff. I had a constant power wire that in all key positions was hot...I didt check run...(Ass-u-me-d) it was ok. Everytime i turned to run it would shut down the PCM and just turned over without starting. One days work wasted finding that mistake!

One thing to keep in mind...Have fun!

The real purpose for reprogramming, besides eliminating all the no longer there sensosrs and the skip-shift function, is to "tweak" for more HP. That also is being done. Since the stock LS1 should put over 300 HP to the rear wheels, editing the ECM, could conceivably add as much as 45 HP. 345 Hp at the rear wheels equates to about 405 at the flywheel. At this point it's all armchair calculations. In another couple months I'll have a chance to dyno the set-up for real and know the actual numbers.