HybridZ

hmmm am i asking for trouble??

Guest zphreek

Guest zphreek

hey guys, i have a 72 240z and i already have the vented toyo brake conversion up front and am planning on doing the 240sx rear disc conversion soon. heres my question, is it going to be undriveable with the stock master cylinder? so far with just the toyos on front and drums on back i am happy with the stock m/c and it is brand new so i hate to buy a new one unless its necasary :roll: but if my pedal is going to be going to the floor i guess i could spring for a new one.... :D

Guest zphreek

ok...all i keep hearing are recomendations, which i respect, but has anyone actually tried this? what would happen? would i not have enough pedal? would i have enough pedal but it would be super stiff?

I am using the larger MC with stock brakes and stainless steel brake lines. I honestly think the MC was undersized on the early 240's (mine is a 70). With the stock MC there would be white knuckle times where my foot would be on the floor yet the brakes would not be grabbing like they should. Would almost want to double pump the brakes. The larger MC (which means it can move a greater volume of fluid) took care of that. I did not notice any appreciable increase in pedal effort due to the larger MC diameter.

BTW, if you look on the Arizona Z car website, they recommend the larger MC with their 4 wheel disk set ups. That is where I found the write up on installing the larger MC with the old Z's (the front and rear resiviours are swapped on the two MC's).

The big difference in brake feel came from the SS brake lines. Man, they make for a stiff brake pedal!! It is amazing how much the rubber brake lines expand when you brake. I probably could have fixed my bottoming brake pedal problem with my Z by using SS lines, but in my case the larger MC came first.

So the short answer is you most certainly won't hurt anything by going to the next larger size MC (except your wallet), so to me it is cheap insurance.

I am using the larger MC with stock brakes and stainless steel brake lines. I honestly think the MC was undersized on the early 240's (mine is a 70). With the stock MC there would be white knuckle times where my foot would be on the floor yet the brakes would not be grabbing like they should. Would almost want to double pump the brakes. The larger MC (which means it can move a greater volume of fluid) took care of that. I did not notice any appreciable increase in pedal effort due to the larger MC diameter.

BTW, if you look on the Arizona Z car website, they recommend the larger MC with their 4 wheel disk set ups. That is where I found the write up on installing the larger MC with the old Z's (the front and rear reservoirs are swapped on the two MC's).

The big difference in brake feel came from the SS brake lines. Man, they make for a stiff brake pedal!! It is amazing how much the rubber brake lines expand when you brake. I probably could have fixed my bottoming brake pedal problem with my Z by using SS lines, but in my case the larger MC came first.

So the short answer is you most certainly won't hurt anything by going to the next larger size MC (except your wallet), so to me it is cheap insurance.