HybridZ

Need wiring help - alternator

Mudge

I need a picture or text layout of what wires go where, on the alternator, if you have FI that will help me since this is a turbo engine in a 240Z...

One slide single conductor on connector goes to P on the alternator, I dont have this, where does it go to on the harness?

BAT terminal on the alternator, not sure where this goes, should I look for a black wire or a red one? There are a couple candidates that are black, or white/red stripe, but no solid red stuff. I'm thinking that I need the white/red stripe wire.

There are two more leads that are I think marked E, but my brain is fading already. Then there is a two prong connector which thankfully I do have, on both the stock and new harness.

------

I am fairly certain I have the starter wiring correct at this time. No headlights come on and I assume this is maybe due to the alternator looking at how the wiring harness works, but I'm really not sure as newer cars dont care about the alt being hooked up for lights. I will have to check my fuses if fixing that doesn't help.

Also, if anyone has an FI car if there is a good pic of the throttle actuation/linkage that would be nice, I can't find anything yet that is close enough for me to see how it works, I didn't study it before hand or take pictures, and I only have one peice that looks like it belongs there but am not sure how the whole thing works.

This being such a rush job I didn't think things through terribly well on a couple points, oops.

Got the fuel pump done, using the stereo to trigger the relay.

I get spark when turning the key towards off, but I do not get a constant spark when I am turning it over. I unfortunately did not look at how the coil was wired in the other car, nor did I label it because it looked obvious (mistake). I am fairly certain I am using the correct part of the harness (somewhat tough to get wrong), but the complete coil wiring is a myster to me.

There is a 2 prong connector below the coil which is shorted to itself, yet has both the ground and positive coil wire going to it, so this I assume is the resistor?

On the distributor there is a 4 lead connection, that is hooked up to the harness. There is also however a single prong connection and I dont know what its for or where it goes, it is at the base of the dis of course. Other than the coil connection to dis, and spark plug connections that is the only remaining one without a home. Unfortunately on the same part of the harness there are two connectors with no home, I am thinking they may be for the water pump, one is a male "round-spade" type connection, the other has no connector on it (broken). The broken wire was yellow and I think the male plug was black but I am braindead right now.

So basically the distributor and coil are in question for me right now, the fuel pump works. I suppose its also possible that the injectors are dead, dont know. I think the rest of the wiring is ok but I will check tomorow of course, spent a couple hours trying to figure out the dis/coil thing and just no go.

If anyone has pictures of wiring in these areas or wiring diagrams that would be great, I will go through the book again to see if I can get some kind of understanding from it.

This is an 82 setup, so the "crank sensor" is in the dis.

Part of my problem I think stems from routing all my wiring through the passenger side. From what I can tell though there are only two branches that could be suspect for being the coil side of things, as for the distributor well unfortunately there are two wires with no home and one male spade waiting for someone to make contact.

Maybe its my computer that is somehow not getting juice, guess I will have to look closer at this as well.

Len came to take a look at the car yesterday, and I am missing an important relay apperantly, and I dont even have a plug for it. This must have been one of the very few things I left on the car somehow thinking it was unimportant, crap.

So I think to fix that problem I need a wiring diagram, its a 6 prong style connector with only 5 prongs, so if I can find another like it maybe I can draw up a pinout and wire up one without too much hassle. When I got home yesterday my battery was SO dead it barely even turned on a 10w light, it was charging at 7 amps on a slow charger so it was very much dead :( As I left it this morning it was around 2A, so it is charged enough that it should work, when I can fix a couple things hopefully later today. I have lost so much sleep lately I am phsyically taxed and the brain is starting to go as well, I'm a bit heavy so I think getting up from under the car and rolling around on my back all the time just plain wore me out (sounds lame I know). I dont even own a creeper, with my big jack I think I may have enough clearance to use one without hopefully bending the crap out of the crossmember, but with a 50" chest I need plenty of clearance.

So anyhow, its not done yet, but I am at least learning what is important/not important on the car, and it really needs almost nothing wired.

Oh, Len also swears there should be more wire going to that coil which is obviously a problem, I litterally have + and - and nothing else, coil is grounded at the intake man area and I have a + right now coming off a relay (for the time being), which goes to a block under the coil which is a 2 prong -| style resistor. I didnt pull the coil so I'm not sure what else would have been there... What does your setup look like?

Guest livewire23

I talked to a guy yesterday who said + and - should be all you need. thats all I got. Under my coil, there is a ballast reistor, with I think 3 wires going out of it. check the pictures on page 74 and 81 of the haynes manual. They're almost exactly how my setup looks.

Guest livewire23

still no ign/gas? How long has the car been sitting? the injectors might have clogged. if the pump comes on, and the fuel rail is pressurized then the injectors should open at least part of the time, as long as the wire comes from the ECU, goes through the relays, and is plugged into the injectors. at least thats how i figure it.

I'm gonna try to fire mine up this weekend in sort of a test setup. The engine will be in the car, but I'm gonna run from gas can and just wire the ECU setting in the engine compartment to see if the engine is anygood. I have just about everything except a hose to bypass the oil cooler lines. I got a relay yesterday for the electric pump. As far as relays go it looked to me like you only need the one for the EFI and the the one for the fuel pump of course. Which one are you missing that has 5 connections??

On the coil are you talking about the transistor that fires the coil?(it mounts right on the coil bracket) I didn't think that these turbo engines had a ballast resistor.

Well, this weekend I will be in the same boat as you guys hoping that all of the electronics are good and that the fuel injectors still work.

if the pump comes on, and the fuel rail is pressurized then the injectors should open at least part of the time

Right, but the computer needs to have power to turn on the injectors, and so on. So without the EGI relay, I'm stuck.

As far as relays go it looked to me like you only need the one for the EFI and the the one for the fuel pump of course. Which one are you missing that has 5 connections??

I'm glad to hear about the coil!

As for the bright green relay, it has 5 connectors on the bottom and I have 5 wires to feed to it. I am going to have to unravel the harness to figure this out without testing leads all weekend long, for now all I know is one or two of these wires go to the ACC portion of the fusible link box, and that is from the wiring diagram, likewise this is the wire that blows on battery being plugged in. The connector I have on the harness is in the Haynes as a "white" connector, it has space for 6 pins but is only using 5 on this one. The EGI relay cannot plug in directly without another connector, so this somehow got lost or was more likely never pulled off the car.

This is the relay I have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33596&item=2409334938

But I do not have the black connector, and there are only 4 wires shown on this one.

Oh, I had to cut the cooler lines to get it off the car in a reasonble time period, but I would suggest getting a cooler, or it looks like oil changes should be 2000 miles or so without it, I'd recommend semi-synth but that is a personal preference.

I'll probably start in on the relay fun in a couple hours, unless you feel like playing Superman and mapping it out for me :D

I have 2 yellow wires, black/white, blue/red, and solid green all off an 82ZXT harness/engine setup.

I'll look at my EGI green relay wiring again tonight, but I know that I have the connector for it on the harness(which you seem to be missing). If I can get my engine fired off then I can give you some real help on the wiring. Right now I don't even know if its going to work. I am an electrical engineer so the wiring of the ECU and EFI doesn't bother me :D . I have looked through the schematic in the naynes manuyal a few times and I think I have a plan. I wasn't going to use the fusible links, I bought a fuse block to put near the battery to power the ECU, fuel pump, EFI, etc. But who knows what I'll run into.

Bryan