HybridZ

Chassis Drawing

I thought that there is so many engineers on this site that it might be handy to have drawings of the zcar chassis.

I took and scanned the 280z coupe drawing from FSM. Then I took and pasted into AutoCad 2000. I then scaled the drawing up by the dimension given on the drawing. I then started laying out the chassis with the dimensions listed most of the drawing is fairly well scaled. It could be easily updated for a 240z as well.

WARNING some of the converted dimensions to imperial are wrong on the drawing itself from the book. The metric ones seem to be all correct.

I then used 3d solids to make up pparaskas famous sub frame connectors. I put in most of the key datum points on the chassis, traced the floor pan. I though it would be nice if we all worked little peaces of the drawing we could keep adding to it. That way it would make designing stuff so much easier for every one. CV shaft problems could be worked out, a new rear end, laying out that custom roll cage, testing for interference ...... the list is endless.

The drawing is 168kb, the scanned photo for the chassis is 1.6mb, and I had some other photos on the drawing mabey 200kb. If there is intrest mabey some of us can sort it out. I can email it some one if they would like to host it.

Okay I will email them to you, a couple of notes for ppl working on the drawings.

I am not sure how to keep the pictures linked under the drawing when emailing them, you might have to repaste and rescale them for the top piece where I traced out some of the drawing.

The floor boards aren't exact, I had problems reading some dimensions on the lower side view.

I also did some pics labelled screen of my autocad so others can get an idea of what's going on. I didn't actually take that long, I am by no means a 3d whiz I taught myself. Despite that it really didn't take too long to do this stuff. I can convert 2d to 3d for anyone who wants to add to it, and doesn't know 3d.

Just thought I would share all this info !! Please let me know anything you find wrong so I can correct it. Or any suggestions you might have.

Thanx for the hosting jimzdat 8) the email is on the way

Super I forgot about the free drawing viewers, I haven't used them too much since I have had acess to Cad for so long.

Over time I will be adding stuff to the drawing, I only have acess to my car on weekends. Might seem boring for some, but others might find it very useful.

Thanx again !!!

I too have been working on a 3D cad drawing of Z (260Z).

I wrecked my z and destroyed the front unibody (firewall forward), but the rear of the car was untouched. Using the stock chassis drawing, I designed a new frame and cage (16 points) that incorporates all the stock suspension mounting points.

I would be happy to donate the drawing to anyone who wants it, and would be happy if someone posted it. Certain elements of my cage design would be easily copied for a less extensive cage. The main hoop sits on the ledge behind the seat as close the rocker panel as physically possible, is tilted back 10 degrees, and runs so close to the B-pillar that a key will not fit between.

Cool email it to me, I would like to have a look at it. Probably put it on another layer of the existing drawing I have. It so fun working with 3d stuff isn't it. It makes redesigning things a snap. Too bad I couldn't just press a button and it would make all the parts for me :D

Keep it coming guys, the more we share the badder our zcars get.

Guest Anonymous

74_5.0

can you send me the cad file of the Z, what cad program are you using. and is it a solid model or 2-d

thanks again

:lol:

• 2 months later...

74_5.0L_Z, any chance I could get the AutoCad drawing of your tube chassis front clip? I love what you've to your Z! Did you retain the original Z suspension/ mounting points? The power I'll be making will require reinforcement of the complete chassis.

Mark

clint78z,

Frame.dwg would be great, if it is like the first or second screen shot. Preferable the first. I am a self taught cad user, but I don't have to do 3D rendering or switch files from one version to the other.

Now you just need to let me know how you manage this. :?:

I use cad almost daily for work now, helping our other draftsmen out. I am still in the very early learning stages, but I can draw faster then the other guy already :D Mainly because I can type with more then one finger at a time. lol Which is another thing I have taught myself.