HybridZ

What is wrong? or is it the gearing?

Guest grunt0311

Guest grunt0311

I just bought an early 71 z with a 350 with tpi. It has a 700r4. It has 195/60 14s on it and it barely squeals the tires. Now the way the shifter is set up (only drive, reverse, neutral and park are used because the stock console is still there) only used drive, I cant actually put it in 1,2,d just od. he said it was set up for boulevard cruiseing. The engine is strong, when I am stopped it is constantly pulling at the brakes to pull me forward, a little bit of a cam lope is there also. It has an r 200, only thing I can think is it has a low(numerically) rear end. I am going to guestimate about 0-60 in the high 5s. Is this normal, I just wonder why I dont flame those small tires. Any suggestions or comments. The tpi looks to be done very well, my mechanic said it was a great job. Of course it was just a look and I didnt take him for a ride to get his thoughts, he was fixing my 78 that i was selling right then.Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

grunt0311

71 240 modified 6

71 240 350tpi 700r4

What observation are you using to claim the "engine is strong"? The constant pull against the brakes at idle could be because of the higher required idle RPM because of the cam (or poor tuning), and the tight converter. We need more information needed to answer this question. It sounds as if perhaps the engine is out of tune, or missing on a cylinder or two, or perhaps the tranny is not starting out in 1st gear. Dun'no.

You've either got tuning issues or trans issues. Any decent running 350 Z should blister the tires. Are you getting all 4 gears? I'd look at the shifter linkage first. It may not be going into first gear. Also check the TV cable adjustment. The rear is an unlikely problem, it's probably a 3.54, 3.36 max.

John

Unless the seller told you it had a larger cam installed, it could just be running poorly, i.e. vacuum leak or etc. I have a 3.90 rear and early 5 speed, and the 2.4L would do a burnout with no problems.

Hope you can get it figured out.

Guest grunt0311

Thanks for the ideas guys, I am taking it in this week to check out the linkage and general look and see if anything is wrong. Now I do have a hot 2.4 in my other 240 with a 5 sp and it will roast them but it isnt as fast as the 350. Hmmm

thanks for the input I will keep everyone posted.

grunt0311

71 240 modified 6

71 240 350tpi 700r4

Couple of things to look for. Whats your total timing set at? If it's 32-34 degrees it may need to go 36-38 degrees. Also vacuum leaks? What do the plugs look like? What kind of gas are you running? Cylinder pressure, have you checked it? Too much cam can be bad for your cars health. Tpi's are generally lower rpm engines and do not gain much from lumpy cams. Lumpy cams run in the upper rpm range, I would think you would run a cam with duration in the 208 to 224 range.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I am wondering if the trans is locked up in a lower gear (numerically)? The pull is a dead giveaway as to the converter in there. I would say that you are supposed to hold the brake and go for whatever the converter rating is in rpm and then drop the brakes, this might be what the seller had set up (or is a workaround to other trans problems he didn't want to fix). The guy didn't give you a demo?

The other guys in here are all giving possibilities. After a cursury exam as you mentioned and the trans is ok, then I am thinking tuneup.