HybridZ

Clutch is slipping really bad...(need advice)

ratedZ

Well I'm happy with the boost after the IC install but just yesterday I noticed that the clutch started to slip pretty badly. At 12psi of boost, it seems to be ok if I "feather" the gas or "ease" the boost in...but once I stomp on gas, the engine revves like crazy but the car is noticeably slower...kind of like burning out on a puddle of ice. It sucks....I also tried it at 15psi but forget about it. So looks like I'll have to hold off on the brakes (I need to upgrade this BADLY) and get a new clutch kit. Now I've been doing some research and I have heard mixed feelings about Centerforce II...seems that it's ok if your under 300hp but people reported slippage at anything over 300hp+. I've seen ACT clutches for cheaper but not sure which stage has been tried by others. Clutch Masters seems to be another good choice but kinda $$$...come to think of it they are all $$. I'm on a budget and I need something that will hold until I do the turbo upgrade (t3/t4). Centerforce seems to be the cheapest but kind of hesitant because of what I have read. If anyone knows first hand about these clutches, please drop some knowledge.

This seems to be in my price range:

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsppartdetail&vmakeid=270&vmodelid=160&vcatyear=1983&vnopinum=365%2B1160&vTitle=1983%20NISSAN%20280ZX%20Clutch/Transmission%20Clutch%20Kit&vaffid=0

How about an ACT clutch: Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ 6 Pad Race Disc Kit - (quick engagement; for race cars)

http://www.nipponpower.com/drivetrain/clutch/act_nissan_260z.html

The Clutch Masters are in the $400.00 range...I would rather wait on spending this kind of money at the moment.

Thanks for the Help!!!

:D

I'm running a ACT street disc on my turbo 240 and it's holding up fine. It's rated at 400 lb ft of torque so I think it's sufficient for a L28et. Look into Exedy clutches also. My ACT clutch disc is actually an exedy unit and they are a little bit cheaper.

Guest Your Car is Slow

Heard nothing but good things about the SPEC stage 3+ clutches....and even when they do fail..they are replaced at no charge by the manufacturer.

Have a buddy in town who has gone through 2 of them in the past 2 years(he sprays ALOT)....both replaced under warranty...im impressed.