HybridZ

someone help with my 350 sbc

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok here's the story, I was driving my car and ran out of gas. Now it doesn't perform as well as it used to, it is significantly slower. I've checked the fuel pump and changed the fuel filter, same slow car. What could it be? I have a sbc 350 with a 650 dp holley.

as a rule, you should keep at least a 1/4 tank in cars w/ electric pumps in the tank. frequently running below this will overheat the pump.

In tank pumps are cooled by the fuel washing around them.

Have you ever wondered how those little electric motors can pump contiuously for 100,000+ miles?

• 1 year later...
Guest tony78_280z

Yup, power valve. Holley claims their new power valves have eliminanted this blow out problem with some kind of "Blow Out Protection". Not sure what that consists of. But if you got a good backfire on one of these older power valves it could very well be the problem.

This is a good webpage for information on Holley Carbs

http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm

On it the guy describes the following...

Blown Power Valve :

You may notice a bad power valve because you will not see the jump from lean to rich when your vacuum gauge gets to the power valve setting. You will see a rich mixture at cruise, when the power valve should be closed. You may also notice a badly BLOWN power valve as an overly rich condition at idle. This occurs only if the diaphragm has a big hole in it that lets fuel from the float bowl into the power valve vacuum passage and into the engine.

There are some hand held vacuum pumps and adapters out there to check power valves. I just use my mouth after making sure all the gas is dried off. If you suck a lot of air through the diaphragm, or it won't hold a vacuum, then replace it.

Hope this helps

-Tony