HybridZ

Grumpyvette, are my heads going to be too big?

I dont really know what to think. A friend of mine is giving me a 1969 Impala with a 350 :D . When I go to look at it there are the nice little 327 badges staring back at me :eek: . Dont get me wrong, I really like the 327 and I think they are one of the best choices for the Z but Im just not sure if will fit with some parts I have already bought.

Dart Iron Eagle heads 215cc intake runners and 2.05/1.60 valves

Victor Jr intake.

Im sure the intake will be what I want but are the heads too much?? If not what kind of Hp could I expect to make with the xe274 or the xe278 cams with around a 600 vac secondary?

Im sorry to ask so many questions. It is just great to have someone who knows so much and is willing to help out. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

the size of the ports will have MUCH less to do with the engines characteristics than the cam and intake type and carb size have on the engines performance.you have changed your mind on what engine your building so many times I tend to lose track of what your even trying to build , those 215cc iron eagle heads were for a HOT STREET 350 , if your going to build a 327 now you should be building a high rpm solid lifter camed engine if you want to take advantage of those heads and their air flow, not a hydrolic cammed 6000rpm max street engine. you can not change your goals and part list part way through an engine build and expect the parts to match or the combo to run correctly. the heads are fine,the intake and cam you pick must match your intended use for those heads.and don,t forget you need headers to let those heads breath.

WHAT ENGINE ARE YOU GOING TO BUILD AND WHAT PARTS DO YOU HAVE ALREADY???

actually, I have followed your advice all along. I started out wanting a vortec engine and you suggested that I spend my money on heads and go with a 350 that a friend was giving me. I have never even asked about a 383??

web page

Well, turns out that 350 is a 327 (he couldnt tell the difference). I have two options. I can sell the 327 and build a 350 or build the 327.

Thinking I was getting a 350 I bought the heads and intake you suggested (good deals on ebay). The heads are the Iron eagle 215s and the intake is a victor jr.

I understand the importance of matching all of your engine components. I was just thrown for a loop with the 327. I understand that the 350 would make more hp but I have heard a lot of good things about the 327s revving characteristics.

Once again, thanks for your help. I know I have asked a lot of questions.

ok your correct I apologize I may have confused your post today with some one else as I answer 60-70 posts a day now (truely sorry I got you confuzed with someone else)

now the heads and intake will be fine on a 327 in a light weight car but be aware that you need headers and a good cam, that xe274 comp cams grind is fine in a 350 but a little rpm limiting in a 327 but since your not racing it I doubt youll notice the differance.if your going to rebuild that 327 be sure to use ARP rod bolts and good rods as that 327 has the potential to reach 7400 rpm.the 600cfm carb is even a better choice on a 327 than on a 350 so thats a good move and it will work well on that intake. if you buy new pistons (A GREAT IDEA BUT NOT MANDATORY)try for about 10/1 forged

Dont worry about getting me mixed up. You are a man in demand! So to clarify, you would go with the 327? What do you think the HP difference would be between the two. I am pretty sure that rebuild would cost about the same for both. 1969 327 I think is a large crank??

Also, If I were to go with a bigger cam in the 327 lets say the xe284 or even the xe294 would I still be able to go with my stock stall in a 700R4?? Once again, I am sorry for asking so many questions, I am really new to this whole thing.

no the first thing you you should realize is that the cam XE274 is about as large as your stock converter can handle and its close to being to much cam for a stock converter in a 327 now if I was building this I think a 383 rotateing assembly would go in that block simply for the much wider torque curve but the hp from either engine will be about the same at the peak hp numbers,since your not planing on racing this a cheap cast crank with hypereutectic pistons will work fine and not cost all that much more considering the total build costs especially if you need to rebore that 327 and get new forged pistons for that 327 anyway, remember its about 30 years old and most likely needs a rebore, rings , bearings,pistons, lifters,and cam minimum rebuild anyway(just a thought here, the 327 will work fine but a 383 will work better)look here

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/index.html

(look in (Chevrolet Rotating Assemblies)(Small Block Chevy 350)(Featuring SCAT® Cast)

the RASBCC3507 kit looks perfect and you get new rods, crank and pistons instead of 30 plus year old parts of unknown quality too. just be sure you get it ballanced and the block your useing is a large journal block with 350 size bearings and you make sure the machine shop you use tells you if your block needs a clean up bore job and what size piston dia. to order BEFORE ORDERING ANY PARTS