HybridZ

Crankshaft #3 bites the dust!!

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Guest Want aZ

Norm,

Was just wondering and I dont know if the 240, 60, 80 engine will let you do this, but has enyone ever thought about splayed main caps, i.e. 4 bolt main caps...I know that it can be done on SB Chevy, and Ford. Is there enough material outside of the current main bolts to do this on the 40, 60, 80?

I cant answer this myself as I dont have an engine, YET. It would add more stability to the bottom end and partially eliminate / stabilize crank flex.

It does seem like this could be a solution, or at lease a step in the right direction...

Damon

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

As far as I can tell by looking at the main caps,there really wouldn't be enough area left to the right or left of the bolt hole to redrill another hole.

later,norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I don't think anyone is pitching cranks, I just think he meant a 4 bolt would prevent the crank from causing the main bearing cap walking.

One solution is to use the diesel main bearing cap bolts that torque to 58 ft lbs.

I used these and although the crank did break after years of violent abuse, the mains did not walk as they had did in the past with the standard main cap bolts.

later,norm