HybridZ

383 to a T5 - what flywheel do I need?

Hello everyone, I've been tossing around the idea of swapping the 383 from my blazer with the 327 in my Z. I want to keep the tranny setup as-is, the Z has a T5 (I know a 383 will be pushing it, but it's been so good this far :D ) and the blazer has a turbo350 (good for the truck but not my Z) - please let me know if I can swap flywheels or if I need to buy others, and if so, where?

Thanks for the help,

Guest Phil1934

An old article where Gale Banks put a 400 in a Firebird stated he had to clearance all the way around the bellhousing with a grinder to fit the larger flywheel. Also the only starter would be the 1996-2000 truck gear reduction one according to JTR. I'd say put a Hays 153 tooth in it. They drill out the balance. I tried a balance plate under a stock wheel when I went to a 400 but it would not let the starter disengage cleanly, so I bought a Hays I will put in one of these days.

Guest greimann
Your flywheels should interchange just fine.

*Brain Fart*

383's are made with externally balanced 400 cranks. A neutral balance flywheel from a 327 won't work!. Look to what Mr. Phil1934 has to say above.

Guest Anonymous

centerforce makes a flywheel for a extranlly balance 383 to a t5 you need to get ahold of centerfoce directly or a good tech at summit or jegs.

Guest Phil1934

Two other points. Although rare, make sure your block has the inline starter pattern for a small dia. flywheel starter as mine only had the staggered mount. And if you are running the stock harmonic dampener you will need a smaller one.