HybridZ

tranny swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i am new here so heres my first question, its pretty basic. can i replace the manual tranny from a 1982 280z with that of a 1978 280z ?

Yes, the swap is pretty straight forward. Be aware that there are two different sets of gear ratios, commonly known as the "early" 5 speed, 77-80 and the "late" 5 speed from 81-83. The early 5 speed has a lower first gear and less overdrive than the late 5 speed. Also, I have seen different shifters in the 5 speeds (pivot point down into the tranny length variances) and the ZX uses a more straight up and down shifter than the Z.

Guest silverbullet

Mike, I might be wrong(and probably am) but I seem to remember something on another site that said there was a "wierd" one year only 5-speed used in 1980 I think, also seem to remember that the "early" 5-speed (77-79?) had the lower first and second gear with third and fourth the same as the "late" model (it does seem like a big drop between second and third on my stock 77), maybe someone knows for sure?