HybridZ

Turbocharging

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

I've bought my parts ZX for my Turbo swap, (I have a '79) and I was gonna use my naturally aspirated engine because of the compression ratio. What will I need to do besides the usual cam/pistons/rings? Just basically bolt on all of the turbo goodies? I plan to make basically just use the turbo, manifold, wastegate and bypass valve, and make my own plumbing to the intercooler... I could really use some help or advice though. I just want to know which parts to keep and which to hock on ebay so I can fund this project.. (College can break a kid you know... ) :) Thanks for the help.

If you have the turbo long block,use that. The NA long block's comperssion ratio is borderline too high for a turbo application. Just swap the whole engine if you have it.

I recommend poping the head off, and checking the condition of the cylinder bores. If there isn't a noticable ridge, get the head cleaned up, and bolt it on with a fresh gasket and timing set.

Pete

The turbo long block would be a better choice, but you can run the engine you have, you just have to be more careful, but since you are using an intercooler, you should be ok.

You need the electronics from the turbo, the distributor drive shaft since it is different. You also have to swap out the oil pan. I like the turbo intake manifold over the NA one as well.

Make sure you are running the P90 head or P79 head, any other head on top of your engine will not be a good choice. I would also swap the cam out for the turbo cam, you can run the NA cam, but I tried one and did not like it. Look for a B, J or M on the back of the cam to tell you if it is turbo or not.

You thought this was going to be easy huh? Good luck.