HybridZ

Help!!! I want to go from an auto to manual...

texasz

How hard is this conversion? The car is a '73 240Z with an auto tranny and I want to put in an early manual 5-speed. I know that the tranny swap is not too bad but how about the clutch pedel and linkages for it???

I must get this answered quickly so any help would be great!!

You would want to get the pedal and linkage parts from another Z car. Most of them were manuals so the parts should be easy to find. Post in the parts for sale forum and you should be able to get the parts. I have the parts on a parts car but I live in Ohio. The five speed came out of the later cars. I do not know if the clutch linkage from the newer cars will work with the 240 though.

I did this in a 510. I didn't think it was all that hard. Hardest thing it working underthat dash, that always sucks!! You need pedal box as mentioned, you also need the clutch master cylinder, the metal pipe that goes from the master to the slave cylinder, and of course the flexable hose for that too. You need to make sure the trans has the fork, throwout bearing, and slave cylinder. Lastly you need the clutch and flywheel. As I remember the automatic had a spacer behind the flexplate, you need to make sure you remove it! The only thing I can't remember is if the automatic has a pilot bearing. You have to make sure it does!

When I converted my cars from auto to manual, I didnt need to replace the pedal box--everything is already there--you just need the pedal and pivot bolt--there was even a blank plate on the firewall where the master cylinder goes

But that is on the later models (did 2 74's and a 76) it may be different for the 240's

I'm currently in the middle of swapping my 73 from auto to manual. In my car, the pedal supports were already in place. All I had to do was rob the pedals from a donor car and bolt them in place. One big bolt to swing each pedal, springs and pushrods and that was it. The donor car, a 71, had a clutch stop welded to the floor that my auto car doesn't have. I don't know yet if I'll need it or not, I'm getting my hydraulic TO brg worked out right now. It wasn't bad at all.

John