HybridZ

Trim rings around headlight covers of GTO buckets

jbeech

If John doesn't respond to this post, shoot him an email at: Info@ReactionResearch.com

I know that he had the trim rings available at one time. I have his VR kit, but haven't purchased the trim rings for mine yet. The question will be whether his rings will fit your Alpha kit.

Have you checked with they guys at Stable Autoworks? For some reason I think their kit is based on (or they have the molds from) the old Alpha operation. I could be mistaken about that.

And I gotta ask, how do you get your wife to buy you webbers?! :eek2: My wife barely tolerates my hobby. Your wife is sooo cool! :2thumbs:

Hey John - The VR uses the same headlight covers as the Alpha (I have John Washington's headlight covers on mine). The Stable Autoworks nose is based on the McBurnie kit and the headlight covers are different.

I don't think John has any trim rings but it won't hurt to ask. I think he usually paints the outside of the cover with silver paint. He will probably tell you that many people have tried to make trim rings over time and I think you will find them very hard to find.

I had Jim Simpson http://www.simpsondesign.net/ do mine. He actually uses a self-adhesive, chrome wheel opening molding. He then fabricates four stainless and aluminum mounting brackets for each cover. Sounds a bit funky but it works and looks great.

The trim rings around the headlight covers (as opposed to trim rings that can be installed around the headlight bulbs...which are a nice touch, too) were made--as I understand it--by a little French guy named Marcel in the LA area. They were hand-formed by this talented sheet metal worker. And they were VERY EXPENSIVE!

I have a set of them from which I wanted to make some tooling to press form some duplicates, but it's way down my list of priorities right now.

To make the dozen or so that I anticipate that I could sell pretty quickly, I'd have to charge probably $500/pair to pay for the tooling. If I'm wrong and there are hundreds of responses to this posting, well...I may change my prices AND my priorities!

John, if you include new plastic covers too, I'm in for 500 bucks a pair. Mine were drawn over mucho dust and look shitty up close. Let me know.

Wagz, my wife is happy she knows where I am and what I'm spending money one. For example, one of my pal's mid-life crisis is a girlfriend on the side (complete with an apartment he pays for). Trust me, I know what he's spending and it's way expensive - to say nothing of what's gonna happen when his wife finds out! Another (ex pal) is so busy running white powder up his nose (way expensive too), he both doesn't have time for his buddies anymore, though for my part, I don't really want him around anymore.

Thus, from my wife's viewpoint, she's pretty happy with what I wanna spend money on for 'my' choice of mid-life crisis (as she tolerantly refers to Lulu). I.e. rather than take up the habits of some of my friends (and former friends), she actually approves of Lulu. . . . life is good :>)

I'll consider it...especially if I can sell enough to pay for the tooling.

BTW, I checked out Modelsport.com. Interesting. Always hated guys who could fly those things...the skills don't transfer very well from the full-scale birds!

I happen to have fuselage molds for a 1/4-scale T-38 Talon I'd like to sell. Would you know anyone who'd be interested?

Don't hate us, join us. It's easy if you start with the right kind of model. What's more, smart purchases when you start (vis-a-vis the radio equipment and engine) are readily transfered to newer more advanced models as you learn to solo and become interested in aerobatics.

As for the T-38, I'm not really into jet circles. Also, something of a sea change (of sorts) has come over that segment of the sport as piston powered ducted fans are being supplanted by miniature gas turbine (direct decendants of cruise missile technology) engines. That said, it would help to know the history of the molds, i.e. were they once in prodcution? Who manufactured them, etc.? Then I can put out some feelers.

I'll take at least two pair if you do it John. A pair for my driver and one to put aside for a spare.... Kim and I each have Alpha cars (among other things) we both need headlight covers as well - I'd take two sets Kim will take at least one ...

shall I send a check today?

I'm VERY serious on this

Also I've been wondering about how easy it would be to cut apart one of your dashes to rework and put in the RHD car...

Chelle

nice Webers John, our Lambo runs em.... they make wonderful noise : )

you can see them sticking up here:

http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/Urraco/lambo031.jpg

http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/Urraco/lambo016.jpg

here's a few of our toys

http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/Urraco/lamboallthree.jpg

Wow, what a dynamite set of cars! Chelle, you and Kim are a lucky couple of folks! I once had a DeTomaso Pantera but always liked the looks of the Lamborghini Urraco even better. Anyway, that's a sweet alingment of automobiles in that picture of all three :>) Seems I recall you guys are in Chicago, or the like, right? I get up that way (from NC) in the fall of the year for a trade show at the Rosemont, maybe I could get to see your babies next time I'm up that way. I'd love to see them in person.

Sure you can see them. We go on drives with a really nice group of Ferrari owners and love car people.. I'm north of chicago and Kim is northwest.. The Urraco is a really neat car and because we did all the work ourselves we know it's right. She and I share ownership of it, I guess one day one of us will buy out the other or we'll sell it outright.. I'm still watching for a Miura project and have several other things going as well.. anyway - keep my e-mail - if you do make it up here and we're available we'd love to chat! That goes for any of you btw - I still would love to get a few dozen GTO replica's together for an afternoon..

My main e-mail is sysadmin@corecomm.net

btw - if you clip off that url to just:

http://members.core.com/~sysadmin/personal/Urraco/

there's lots more pics of the Urraco - I need to get around to making pages for the rest of the toys but in various pics you'll see everything from our Alpha cars to a RUF 930 Turbo to Kims' 3000GT VR4 to my other GTO project.... cars are fun, and not just for guys : )

Chelle

Hey 250z, can you help get me in touch with Classic Revivals in Australia? BTW, that was nice of you to scan that article and post it, where did it originate? Is there more to it worth scanning (to post)? If those trim rings around the headlights can be fitted top my GTO, I'm game to buy a pair. Thanks in advance!