HybridZ

Small Block Chevy or 280ZX Turbo Engine Swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Which engine is a better choice to swap in the place of a 280Z stock engine?

The Chevy is definately more expensive and probably a bit more difficult but allows for much more horsepower and betters mods for later increased power. The added weight is another issue though...

How much horsepower can the Turbo 280ZX engine put out without any hugely expensive or difficult mods?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Guest thepenguin99

this is a very open ended question subject to personal opinion. I guess I will throw out a couple facts:

both conversions add weight

both conversions can give you as much HP as the stock 240z chassis can hold without stiffening

which conversion is cheaper is totally dependant on how much HP you want

Nathan

I don't know about the SBC swap being "definitely more expensive". It all depends on how cheaply you can find a used turbo motor that doesn't need any expensive work. Those engines haven't been made for a while now and aren't getting any cheaper, nor are the FI parts and turbos getting any less likely to need work. Budget V8 swaps can be done for $1000 to $1500. I imagine a turbo swap could be done for less provided the used engine doesn't need any unexpected repairs.

The V8 swap doesn't have to add any weight if done correctly. If you believe the JTR manual using an engine with aluminum parts and a transmission other than a T56 should make the weight gain a push. The V8 will also have a better weight distribution then the inline turbo.

You could probably get 250-300 reliable, streetable HP out of the turbo motor with some $$. But remember, a very mildly built V8 will produce this peak HP rating, but with a MUCH wider HP curve. (Stock LT1's out of a 90's F body were rated at 275 HP) The V8 will have bettter throttle response and be a much more enjoyable street engine all the way around. And, if it is still not fast enough, the V8 will be strong enough that you could easily add 50 to 100 HP and still have a streetable ride that won't blow up if driven to the edge.