HybridZ

Can't get in gears!

Guycali

Hi all,

Hope you can give me some insights. I've just replaced the clutch and bled the system, drained and refilled the tranny oil, and bled the brake system. I can move the shifter in all gears okay with engine off. However, when the engine is running, I can't shift into any gears, no matter how hard I tried. I have attempted to decrease the clutch/shift fork gap but all that does is firm up the pedal travel and the problem remains. With the engine off, I can shift into 1st gear, start the engine, slowly release the clutch pedal and the car will move forward. However, I just can't shift to any other gears while the engine is turning. I do hope the problem is not the synchros but simple clutch adjustment.

I'd be most grateful if anyone close to me can help me get this puppy on the road!

Regards,

-Wilbur

First thing is to go about bleeding again. The 73 and up cars have a non-adjustable length pushrod, but the earlier cars have an adjustable one. Did you change the size or style of clutch? If it is properly bled but still won't work, you may have the wrong sleeve for the throwout bearing.

Synchronizers are a dynamic component and won't really effect your ability to get it in or out of gear at a dead stop. As you have noted, it is a clutch dis-engagment issue.

Guest 240hybrid

Im running a 75 slave cylinder on my 5 speed thats in my 73 240z and I dont have any problems with shifting. Id say go ahead and bleed the system again and make sure its with the proper fluid. Also, a dried out and old slave cylinder hose will expand during use and not allow proper shifting.

Thanks for the advice. I have a '72 4spd and it's all stock. I've replaced the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. I have temporarily fixed it by disconnecting the return spring on the slave cylinder. It appears that with the return spring connected, the pushrod of the slave cylinder doesn't have enough force to overcome the tension in the spring to deliver proper disengagement distance to the clutch. The car shifts pretty well in all gears with the return spring removed. Good to know it's not the synchros. *whew*

Of course, this isn't a long term solution. Either the slave or master cylinder isn't working properly because I've bled the clutch over and over again. Or it could be both cylinders. I guess my solution is to replace the slave cylinder then the master to really fix the problem. The return spring is there for a reason. Having it disconnected doesn't sit well with me.

-Wilbur