HybridZ

BOV Fluttering

z-ya

I have a Turbo XS BOV on my L28ET, and I'm having some problems with it fluttering. I recently upgraded by turbo to a T04b/T03. It worked great with the stock T03 turbo. Here is what it's doing:

When I'm lightly eccelerating when there is less than 10in/hg vaccume (near 0psi), the boost gauge needle starts fluttering all over, and I can hear the BOV opening and closing rapidly. When I've got it to the floor, to boost climbs to where I expect it (12psi), but if I hold it there, the BOV starts fluittering again. I've tried increasing the spring tension by adding shims (washers). I added I thing 5 washers. With the stock turbo I didn't need any shims. By adding the washers it seemed to help a little, but it's still doing it.

Do you think I need to just keep adding washers, or am I going in the wrong direction?

Any help appreciated.

Pete

I have the TurboXs type H. Mine only flutters as I lightly let of the gas under light boost. full boost if I take my foot off the gas, it just does one blow off.

I'd also look at your vacuum lines.. remember it works off of a pressure differential... maybe the vacuum line is in a poor location?, leaky? too small?, too big?...to long?

just some ideas..

Just out of curiosity, how's your popoff valve? I noticed on mine when I upped the boost using a boost controller that when the popoff valve was venting off, the boost needle was shaking a lot and wouldn't go any higher. Mine is stock and soon I'll replace the inner diaphram, but for now I'm limited to .65 BAR boost. Dunno the psi conversion. Sorry.

John 82ZXT

Guest Anonymous

I once had this problem on my Mitsu Eclipse GS-T, I would run it high and then shift, resulting in the BOV making a fluttering sound. I had just installed a Blitz Super BOV, found out the problem was b/c the spring was too tight in the BOV. If anyone is familiar with the Blitz, it has an adjustment screw for tight/loose (god i wish women had those), if the spring is too tight the BOV will produce that sound. Hope this is the case