HybridZ

Is the hood safety latch needed?

BARACU

While mounting the hood latch on my 75 SBC conversion, it seemed that the JTR latch plate and safety catch set up was pretty awkward and clumsy looking. Discussion with a friend came around to whether it was really needed. IF the latch failed , how high could the hood possibly raise at highway speeds(70-90mph)? We both seemed to think that pressures above and below the hood would be equal, possibly lifting the hood just a few inches, but not enough to obscure vision. Anyone have any experience with this or any thoughts on it? My car is not on the road yet, so I can't test this theory.

I have experienced the hood raising at speed.

BUT, as soon has I saw the hood pop up I started to brake pretty heavy. So I don`t how much that action came into play with things.

IMO, I would say have some from back up for the hood release or go with 1 center or 2 outer hood pins. Then you could remove the mount for the hood latch and clean up the engine bay.

Guest Drewz

HELL YES use it. I had the hood open under heavy accel. in my V8 Z and when it popped to the safety catch the steering also felt heavier. The front end becomes pretty light over 100 mph. The hood does open backwards but the under hood air pressure is VERY high at top end speeds and scared the FUDGE out of me. IMO :oops::oops: