HybridZ

VLSD INNER STUB Q ?

RB26powered74zcar

Can anyone answer if the 88 ZXT SS VLSD inner axal stubs are the same on any other model VLSD ? I bought a VLSD online and the axals were damaged during shipping, so ups wants me to submit a valid replacement cost so I can get reimbursed for replacement.

The big Q is, can they be replaced ?? Really, all I'm mainly concerned with is the inner stub portions....

Thanks for any sugestions... :2thumbs:

I have a VLSD from a Z32 and had a VLSD from this year car your questioning, both are the same. The differential stubs on the Z32 has one short and one long, and bolt on like the 240sx but they have five bolt pattern not the six bolts that the 240sx uses. The 1988zxt ss uses the same cv EXCEPT for the right side (or maybe the left don't recall off hand) as the other variety of half shaft, and again that odd ball longer splined end is opposite of it. Don't know if they are available, if so maybe only a dealer item, as I have tried to find a supplier for the half shafts with no sucess. Hope this helps. Mike

My thoughts are that a R200 VLSD is a R200 VLSD no matter what wheel ends were used. Is this thinking way out or what?

I would think that the diff side stub flange splines would have to be the same although the wheel ends of the axals may be differnt between the models of cars that came with the VLSD.

Does anyone know or have any idea where to buy R200 VLSD axals complete or just the diff end stubs ??

Thanks again for your help

joel

:?::arrow: Does anyone know if any other halfshaft will plug into the R200 VLSD that came on the 88zxt SS ?

The outer end (wheel end) is not important to me, I'm looking for any other axle that will plug into the R200 VLSD to get the inner (diff end) splined stubs off of them.... someone out there knows... ANYONE ??? HELP PLEASE !!!

Thank You

joel

I think that a z32 na (90 or newer) has the same side stubs as a 88SE VLSD. Theyare not the same as the old style R200 stubs, they are the same size and spline count but are a diffrent length. Use the search function to search for VLSD this has been talked about before.

Don

Go here for a nice pic

http://hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20387

This is a VLSD unit with side stubs, all VLSD units are alike and use the same side stubs.

Don't know where you can get NEW ones but used might be found at recycle yards, rare but they do exist. Use the national parts locator service, most machine shops and recycle yards should be helpful for this.

Mike

Can anyone in the know tell me if these stubs out of a R200 VLSD Infinity would work as far as pluging into my R200 VLSD out of the 88 white ss zxt??

I'm having a hell of a time trying to match up something that will plug into this diff.

LinkPhoto?GUID=44933ed4-477d-5d18-20e4-367f7f3e66e3&size=

The length looks fine, it's just the spline pattern that throws me.

Has anyone heard of another stub that will plug into this hard to find diff. I've searched the archives with no luck. PLEASE won't someone help me out here... :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

The pattern is a bit goofy but they should fit. All the VLSD shafts I've seen have the splines cut all the way along the shaft. Looks like those were machined excessively for no real gain. If you look into the carrier on the passenger side you will see that the splines have a "dead" spot where the unsplined portion of that shaft would be when installed. Have you worked out a solution to install CV on the ends of those differential stub shafts? Would be interesting to see what comes out of this. Mike