HybridZ

hesitant engine/tranny??

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

Ok, time for my first technical help post. I have a 1981 280ZX N/A. Recently, it has started acting strangely; I can't tell if the problem is in the engine or the tranny, so I'll just post it and see what help I can get:

Between 2000 and 3000 RPM, the car starts to hesitate as I accelerate. It usually occurs while I am driving slowly and accelerate slowly; when I punch it it is usually ok. It also seems to occur mostly in 2nd gear, but it has occurred in all gears (well, all 3). To be more specific about the problem: the car starts to undulate, kind of a shimmying (like I'm driving over a washboard road). It will kind of bog a bit. I wish that I could be more specific, but my technical knowlegde is limited to changing my oil, thats about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cause I dont feel like spending a few hundred bucks for my mechanic to tighten a bolt or something.

Guest greimann

This sounds like an engine problem rather than a transmission problem. It might be lean surge or something else, it is hard to diagnose over the wire. I would say that you start with the basics and make sure that there are no vacuum leaks and your ignition system is in good condition. If you have an O2 sensor, replace it.

Guest comeandzpa

If it makes a difference, it only happens sometimes. When I got in my car yesterday it was running fine until the engine got warm, then it seemed to start acting up again. Also, it seems worse when I am on a hill.