HybridZ

Im a bit new to this 240Z thing...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...but last winter when i saw a program on the history international channel and did a little reading about them, i decided that was the car i wanted to start with. origionally i just wanted to keep it stock with the straight six. then someone told me in december that you can fit a 350 smallblock chevy into it. so I was at work one day and got into a conversation with a guy who happened to build motors for dirt track racing cars. he tells me (and i havent been able to figure out if this is B.S. yet) if I use a 302 and stroke it up to 347 then add a paxton blower i would be pushing 560+hp to the flywheel. he also said that a ford nine inch rear end would be the most cost effective of my choices.

I hate asking so much at once but i dont want to jump into this completely uninformed.

are there books, or websites that cover this more in depth then just talking about possibilities?

-Freeway

shooting for a '73 Z with 385-400WHP

I am sure the ford can be made to produce that power. Any engine designed in the last 30 years should be able to make 100 hp per lt if supercharged. It would pay to search around the ford forum and see what has been said in the past. The nine inch is one of the strongest rear ends out there, but you would have to rebuild the whole rear end of the car to get it in and you lose the independent rear.

Its hard to make sugestions without really knowing the end use of the car. What you have suggeted sounds like a good menu for a drag car. Is this what you are after?

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

I was just listing my total experience with swapping in a Z car. I have several options. and a substantial amount of starting money for this project. at first I wanted a quarter mile car but now i think i want a daily driver, thats why i came to this forum, to ask about the grand national engnine being that a turbo V-6 would be lighter than a v-8.

idealy i would like to make it a road racing type of car that can go really fast and accelerate fast. im not too sure what engine would be ideal for this. i really dont have much experience.

I cant wait to start tech school in the fall and really learn what the heck im doing...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 87-ZX

IMHO, It might be better to go for the 302, it's quite a bit lighter than the 350, and the distributor doesn't interfere with the hood latch. But... If you do decide to go with the 350, Motorsport Auto http://www.zcarparts.com/ carries a complete conversion kit. :burnout:

Guest 1320the260

i have a friend who has a supercharged 347 in his mustang, he dyno'd (untuned!!!) at 627 at the rear wheels on 91 octane. he told me that if he were to do it again, he'd go 331 because a 347 has a weird set up where the stroke is too long and you get ALOT of blowby on the rings. he told me 331 is much better, not as much torque but a better motor. make sure that with any stoker kit you at LEAST use a Mexican 302 block, or a sportsman. and if money is no object get an R block. hehe. but definately get the ford motor. dizzy in the front, and less weight.

I wouldn't swap the rear out of the Z. It is strong enough for mild stuff bone stock, and can be upgraded to CV axles for anything over 300HP... I'm in the middle of researching a 347 stroker for my wife's 5.0 mustang, and we are actually thinking about a 331 stroker instead due to block fatigue issues...

I guess the most logical question is this: What do you want to do with the car? Zs weigh MUCH LESS than most street cars out there... 240zs have been weighed in at 2400-2500#s. That is a sgnificant weight difference from even the little honda civics running around today... 600HP in a Z is gonna be hard to control, and not NEARLY as fun to drive daily as say 400hp... That said, I AM building a 550hp capable 383 stroker, so I can understand the alure of more HP... But having built one V8 Zcar, I can certainly attest to the less might be more line of thought...

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I gave the guy a call about the engine today, i havent talked to him since december. but the gist of it is he can build and dyno an engine and exhaust system for me. and asked if I plan on keeping the stock tranny. I told him that I would like to have a manual but am thinking about maybe a T4. He mentioned that there happened to be a T4 in his garage.

the guy was nice enough to let me stop in today and give me a free estimate. im lookin at about 8 grand total for car and work. the guy is actually gonna let me help with the work.

his son is my age and is going to the same school I am in nov. so he and I are gettin along great. but im gettin a hella good deal because the guy has never even considered doing this with a Z car. He is really turned on to it too.

He mentioned that if i plan on having the car for a daily driver i might want to consider a smaller stroke than 347, I asked him about 331 and he said it might be a better idea with a 9 to 10:1 compression ratio. I wont be strappin on a blower but im gonna shoot for about 350-380 Wheel HP.

I am more interested in reinforcing the back end now that you said it can be done without replacing it. do you have a company name or someone i could contact? this guy has no real experience with Datsun/nissan.

whoo, thats a lot.

the other thing im gonna do with it is put side pipes similar to the Shelby cobra. i think it would set the car apart even more. Im having trouble finding kits for the car (front Fascia, wider fenders in front and back) is there a company that makes these or am I better off finding a custom bodyshop and working thru that?