HybridZ

opti-spark info

Guest Your Car is Slow

personally the unvented optis seem to last significantly longer than the vented ones.

A buddy was telling me earlier about switching to an LS1 coil pack setup and an ignition "box" that would be a much better replacement than other options.

Ill have to see how his little project comes along

Ha! Not from what I've seen. My 94 Opticrap had oil and coolant INSIDE of it, there is virtually no sealing on the back, it sucks IMHO :) 95 is virtually impervious to damage, much better sealing. I opened mine up and used silicon (shoe goop) around the seals as they dry and crack with heat/age.

I am not going to spend $699 on some aftermarket opti with a better seal, thats a load of cow pie. If you want coil on a plug its going to be MoTeC, or some other aftermarket ignition system, and I really dont want to spend that kind of dough. Ford EDIS is wasted spark, with essentially one coil driving 2 cylinders at a time, much better than only 1 coil, should easily run 9k RPM or so for those that needed such a beast.

Or MSD/Crane/Accel systems can drive 2 coils without issue, problem then becomes running all that power through the Opti, so something like the one-time Optispark-Eliminator used it for trigger but ran no ignition through it, this product didn't last long, I believe there were 10 systems made and they will no longer support them, I know someone that recently sold his setup as he has MoTeC now ($$$).

When Megajolt hits the public, it WILL support coil on a plug, its the cats PJs, I'll be happy with the JR version for my Turblow. Hardware is done, looks like they are hammering out code fixes/optimization.

Guest Your Car is Slow

This is a much less expensive option. Basically a control box (~350) that uses the signal from the ECU (and one from the opti too I think) to fire the LS1 coil packs mounted on top of the LT1 Heads.

So basically you are lookin at about 400 - 500 dollars in parts (depending on how cheap you can find a set of LS1 coil packs.