HybridZ

cruising ~60~ MPH on freeway and speedo say 90 MPH...

Have been thrashing my 72 v8 z around town a bit shaking the bugs out and I today took it on its first freeway trip... the tranny is a th-350 and i used the msa speedo cable. When at 60 it says 90. hahaha

now what :?:

I know there is a gear somewhere to replace with a different one, where does it go and how do i know what gear to buy :?:

Thanks, bob in ca with (as of today) a registered and insured and running v8 z...hahahahahaha :P

thanks greimann, but I cant get the calculator to work and I not even sure if I am putting in the right information. Surely someone out there has run a th-350 (i know its not the best tranny for cruisin on the freeway, but its what I had laying around and its strong) and can help.

Page 11-2 jtr says its the same gears as the t-5 in the chart. so maybe if someone running a t-5 can tell me what driven gear and what drive gear it may help. not sure :?

thanks bob

Guest greimann

Ok, Need the info:

How many teeth are on your drive gear, or what color is it?

What is your differential gear ratio?

What is the diameter of your rear tires?

What is the capital of South Dakota?

If you get 3 out of 4 correct, we'll tell you the speedo driven gear tooth count.

Ironically, the most important of the 4 is what color and how many teeth on your drive gear. Note: drive gear, not the driven gear. The driven gear is hopefully the thing you will have to change but you need to know the drive gear to make sure there is a driven gear to match your drive gear and final drive ratio.

Yikes, that makes sense to me but sounds confusing :D

acually that makes sense...i think. so I may just have to replace the driven gear ( the gear with the shaft) and not nessarlly the drive gear, but possibly both the driven and the drive gear :shock:

I am looking at page 11-3 in the bible. I see the retainer, the sleeve, the driven and the drive gear.

DO I... :?: remove the retainer pull out the sleeve and then pull out the driven gear? Or am I way off?

ANd if I do this is a bunch of tranny fluid going to pour out? should I drain the pan first?

thks, bob

No. The drive gear is the one on the transmission tailshaft and the driven gear is the one on the end of the speedo cable. The best way to solve your problem is to know what drive and driven gears you have, your final drive ratio and tire diameter and call a tranny shop that is familiar with how to derive speedo gears and let them tell you what you need. Hopefully it is just the driven gear, but it could also be the drive gear or even the driven gear cage.

Guest greimann

From your info, if you have a 7 tooth (pink) drive gear, then you will need a 19 tooth (natural) driven gear, and you might find them in Pierre SD :D

The question is still, what drive gear do you have?

Got my plane tickets. they got a special right now... buy a plane ticket get a free 19 tooth sprocket... what was the steve martain joke. "i said socket not sprocket" crap I cant remember.

Ok, sunday (my only day off) :cry: I will pull the driven gear out and look at it. See what color it is and count the teeth.

Before I change the sprockets with my socket I thing I will hit the freeway and bury the speedo all the way to 160...just slam the pucker way past 160 and take a digital pic of it...hahaha should be able to do that at about 100mph