HybridZ

10.5" Rear 8" Front wheels (5 lug) possible?

Guest 73TPIZ

Guest 73TPIZ

Been toying w/ the idea of a solid axle rear. I think i'd be going with an explorer drum rear and have it shortened. 3.73 8.8" gear, 31 spline axles, LSD, and drums (for less rotational weight). These have the 5 on 4.5 pattern which is the same as later mustangs. I would put the Z31 hubs on the front and have the same pattern all around.

My question is has anyone stuffed 10.5 rear wheels under your Z without flaring the arches? I saw some aftermarket 17x10.5, 8 Cobra lookalikes on ebay. I could modify the inner wheelwell some but didn't know if it would be a PITA. I wouldn't mind flaring the outside some but not a lot. Anyway I'm breaking out the tape measure this weekend so tell me what you guys think.

Also will 17" tall wheels be too much for the dragstrip. They'd look great but seem kinda tall for other than show. 295/40/17's are only 0.7" taller than my 245/60/14's i run now, by the math, but will 40's hook at all (no wrinkle).

Guest cowboy6280

I'm no expert by a long shot, but I think the 60's would do you much better at the dragstrip than the 40's. I think the 60's would have much better bite, you will probably end up burning the 40's down. But see what the other guys here have to say, just my opinion.

for the strip you would want a taller side wall for the simple fact that air and rubber are lighter than steel or aluminum. without spending a ton of money you won't find a 17" wheel that will be light enough for a strip take off.