HybridZ

What causes rocker arm failure???

Your pushrods probably came off of the Vortec engine that the heads came off of. I believe the Vortec engine had roller cams which do have shorter pushrods due to the extra hieght of the roller lifters. If using Vortec heads with non roller cam then you need the standard chevy non roller pushrods. Also note that Vortec engines used self aligning rocker arms. If you are not using guide plates and hardened pushrods make sure you buy self aligning rocker arms. Both Jegs and Summit Racing sell some inexpensive self aligning rocker arms.

Guest animated_life

I didn't know that the original Vortec engines used shorter pushrods. You learn something new every day working on these kinds of projects. I went out and bought a whole new set of rocker arms and pushrods (the correct length this time) and hopefully I'll get to install them this weekend. I'm crossing my fingers that this is the fix I was looking for. Thanks for all the info guys!