HybridZ

HELP!!!! Engine wont turn over.....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am installing a LT1 in a 944 with a 5 speed. Upon installing engine I didnt check to see if engine would turn over. After I installed the starter I tried to turn the engine over but it just bumped the engine a little. I figured I needed to shim the starter. While shimming the starter I let the Positive cable ground to the engine, it welded to the oil pan right at the block and i had to jump out and disconnect the battery. (stayed grounded to engine 12-15 seconds small flames!!!!!)

Here is the ??????????????

After shimming the starter the engine wont turn over!!!!!! Not even by hand in either direction!!!!!! IS THERE ANY WAY I WELDED THE MAIN BEARINGS to the crank? Am i being paranoid? Something could be binding in the bell housing?

Please tell me it COULD'NT be the bearings!!!!

Guest greimann

You did not weld the bearings to the crank. The current path went through the oil pan, oil pan bolts, block and battery cable connected to the block. Fairly harmless to the engine. The bigger problem is the condition of the battery cables and battery. You probably need to replace the whole smash because 15 seconds of dead short had to melt something beyond recognition in the cable system.

Your siezed engine is something else altogether.

Buy some 2.5" long grade 5/8 bolts to put in the crank hub (NAPA), take one with you so they can get the correct thread. Once you have these thread these into the crank hub, and find a wrench or something to wedge between that will give you some leverage, and try turning it over.

Guest Anonymous

Believe it or not nothing on the cables is damaged, They got very hot but didnt melt anything. The short was right at the oil pan where it meets the block. Since the cables were not damaged I was afraid the heat went into the engine. If something was binding in the bell housing you would think I could turn the engine backwards?

Guest Anonymous

Its a custom bell housing, I'm afraid the pressure plate is binding against the bell housing. But because I discovered this Lockup right after the SHORTout I was kind of freakin.

I'm gonna loosen the bell housing and see what happens.......

Guest Anonymous

Loosened the bell housing and got a small crack between engine........now it turns over by hand. Think i should crank it and let it clearence its self?

Think i should crank it and let it clearence its self?

Not only no but hell no! You need to find out why it's binding and fix it properly. I can imagine if you let it clearance itself it might bend or damage the crankshaft.

Guest Anonymous

I know why its binding, the bell housing does not have enough clearance for the pressure plate. Why they make the clearance so tight is ?????? :evil:

(This is a custom bell housing from Renegade Hybrids that converts the engine to the Porsche torque tube.)

I know why its binding' date=' the bell housing does not have enough clearance for the pressure plate. Why they make the clearance so tight is ?????? :evil:

(This is a custom bell housing from Renegade Hybrids that converts the engine to the Porsche torque tube.)[/quote']

I would call Renegade Hybrids and ask them. It should not bind like that.

Guest Anonymous

Same clutch setup worked fine in a car we did last month. This was a new run of bellhousings since that car.

Guest Anonymous

If the engine can be turned now, see if you can roll the car at all. If not then you might start by pulling the tranny and taking some measurements (give everything the "Hard Eye"). Do this when no one else is around to prevent possible emberrasment.....LOL