HybridZ

350, 383 pricing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am beginning my v8 conversion. i would like some info on what you did to your car and what the price was. i am interested in the motor info. What kind of power are you getting. hows it setup. and what you being a 350 or 383 person or anyone that knows anything about these would rercomend to have a car that kicks some *** (but). Thanks for any insight on this subject

Zach

Zach,

Check out my article under the Feature cars section,and read the engine build section... My motor (A 383 Stroker) cost me $3875 delvered to my doorstep, and included everything from the intake to the oilpan. I had to buy a waterpump, carb, all accessories, and ignition components, but still I'm making some serious HP...Enough to bark fourth gear in the t56 unit, spinning 265-50s at will!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

My motor is much like Mike's and is being built by Keith Craft racing. It'll be a 383 stroker, Eagle rods, GOOD forged pistons, aluminum heads, flat tappet cam, single plane intake. Brokered through a friend who does business with them on many Ford motors cost will be about $4500. HP should be between 450-500. This is intake to oilpan including an aluminum water pump, SFI dampner, and ignition (HEI). Compression to be around 9:1 and it might see a blower later on and certainly fuel injection if I have my way.

In this case I told my friend I wanted about 450hp, he told the builder 500+ (smile). I made no real requirement on cubes or how they accomplished my goal but generally more cubes makes it easier to get higher HP. I did spec a single piece rear seal but in hindsight it makes no real big difference but I will be using a T56. I strongly considered a 406 for the wretched excess factor.

Speed costs money but do realize these cars don't weigh much so you need not go nutz, I've probably overachieved. GM has a crate motor that's 350cubes making 385horses and plenty of torque. It's apparently complete oilpan to intake including ignition and has a roller cam - the balancer you'll have to replace. Cost is under $4K. My ONLY really "good" reason for avoiding it was that I wanted stronger pistons and more HP. Honestly 385hp and those pistons would probably be enough to take on most anything you're likely to encounter on the street so do strongly consider that motor.

Oh yeah - one of us here is running a SBC 302. Now THAT might be interesting. Lot's of RPM - vroom!