HybridZ

Temp sensor causing stall

i have a stock '81 zx n/a and if i connect the cylinder head temp sensor, the engine dies and won't restart. with the sensor unpluged, the car will idle roughly, but to get the engine to rev requires pumping the gas pedal.

the car ran fine before i removed the tranny and had it rebuilt. so either having it sit for about a month, or bumping something seems to be the most likly cause.

any ideas as to what would cause this problem? i've already replace the sensor, but to no avial. the input to the sensor is running about 12V with the car running, and if i check resistance (allow any current to go to ground) the car dies. the return lead from the sensor is connected to ground.

suggestion?

yeah, i've got all the grounds connected and tight.

the issue isn't getting the starter to engage, but rather the problem is that when the temp sensor is connected it just wont start. with the sensor connected i've checked spark and for pulsing at the injectors, both are fine as far as i can tell.

my haynes manual suggested that the sensor might be the problem, and it seems to be part of the problem. the real problem is i don't know enough to know what having dificulties with the sensor means. what does the computer do as the car gets warmer? why would disconnecting this sensor allow my Z to run? (poorly though it may be) and does anyone have any idea what i can do to fix it?