HybridZ

Completed fuel cell installation pictures

I'd just like to thank Tim240Z very, very much for the inspiration to do this installation (i'm a poet and I don't know it). I followed his pictures, dimentions, and ideas to the tee and came out with a very clean install. Check it out:

http://homepage.mac.com/nion/PhotoAlbum7.html

The luggage sraps do a great job of holding the cell in. The one thing I may do in the future is set up a hinged floor with another hinged lid for the fuel filler. But since I'm probably not going to weld the box in permanently, I think I may just stick with the original spare tire well cover for a while.

Congrats on finishing.

I have been meaning to do that mod for a long time.. i keep putting it off and putting it off..

The filler is my stumbling block..I still want a generally stock fuel filler location..but I want a cap like a dodge viper..too much effort for me right now. I don't want to get too much on plate..hehehehe like I don't have too much already lol bonk.gif

Nion,

Looking good!! I put in a litle hatch on my cover plate to access the filler.

xfuelhatch.jpg

I am using sheet metal screws to hold down the main cover piece and then I am going to use a latch from the stock tool hatch lid (the two little cubby holes behind the seats on the rear deck - you can see them at the top of the picture) to hold down the the filler access plate.

BTW...I undid the stitching to the luggage straps and took off the little metal mounting tabs. I washed the webbing and then dyed them black with some clothes dye that I had the little woman pick up from the drug store (Rite Aid I think). I then dipped the mounting tabs in Plasti-Coat (after buffing all the rust off of them with a wire brush (drill mounted). Then I had a local taylor shop restitch them. They look BRAND new!!!

Keith,

My box was made in three pieces, main piece was cut and bent into a U to create the cradle (width wise in the car), then two front and back pieces were bent to have flaps that mounted to the main cradle. I can give specific measurements offline if you like...drop me an email.

There's a bunch more pics of it on my old yahoo site.

Tim

Guest Rattfink

Not to change the subject or anything, but...

When you cut the driprails off (something I plan on doing), did you just cut as close as possible to where you wanted it and reweld? Without taking out the first section, I'm not sure what I'm facing underneath.

Very cool to see it done... I haven't seen many shaved Zs yet. Did you do the doors too? I'm about 3/4 of the way done on mine... damn, I thought I'd be the first!!

happy trails,

'fink

I plan on doing the same installation on my 72.

Has anyone tried making a molded fiberglass tub to mount the fuel cell in? I would be pretty easy to put some mold release on the fuel cell and cover it with cloth and resin to make a really tight fitting tub. Would be a lot lighter than steel too. rockon.gif

The only problem I can think of for that situation is the fittings. You need room to get the fittings down out the bottom of the sump and to mold around the cell you'd need to remove the sump fittings. Matter of fact, anytime you did anything with the sump fittings they'd need to be removed. Try sticking your hand in the fuel filler door and you'll see what a ROYAL PITA this could be, especially if you have a foam filled cell like me. Besides - I wouldn't trust them not to leak unless they're still installed as they came from the factory.

I didnt think about that, bummer. I've re-thunk it and decided to make the box out of aluminum instead. I'll have to make some sort of frame out of angle iron and weld it to the car, then bolt the aluminum box to that frame. Probably make an aluminum battery box too for mounting the battery in the rear.

Guest 400 ci 280z

tim i know this has nothing to do with the fuel cell but the storage doors (the ones just behind the seats) will those fit on a 280z. mine has the holes and stuff for them and i would like to put the on there.