HybridZ

car dying

Guest storm280z

Guest storm280z

my car will dies sometimes.i will be driving an the car will just shut off. but sometimes i can take the car out of gear an return the motor an it will start back up. an sometimes i have to stop an give to fusible link a good hit an it will start back up. the only noise it makes when it dyies is a click from around the fuse box. also sometimes when im driving it will die an start back up on its own butit will so it real fast. :( help . can it be my ignition relay/or my transistor igition unit

What Year, Make & Model?

If at times you are tapping on the fusible link(s) and it starts up-then perhaps you should begin your diagnostics by cleaning the connections at the fusible link(s). Or, replace your fusible links-afterall, they are not that expensive.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

I had a POS car that started momentarily killing the engine when I hit the turn signal switch. Just enough you could feel the car start to decellerate before picking up again. Was convinced the switch was broken and shorting something out.

Finally the car got so it wouldn't start without a jump. After the second time, while I was waiting for my buddy to show up with jumper cables, I noticed the dome light getting brighter and dimmer with the bass notes from the radio. That gave me the bright idea to clean the visibly clean battery posts.

Problem solved.

The turn signals must have momentarily put enough load on the alternator that the voltage drop caused the ignition to drop out (a battery acts like a huge capacitor to smooth these type of transients out).

So take a wire brush to every major electrical connector under the hood before you start buying new parts.