HybridZ

muncie 1963 to early 1975 4 speed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, im new here and i am in the process of buying a '73 280z for $500. I have a 350 that i am going to put in it and i was wondring if i could use a muncie 4 speed from a 1963 to early 1975 General motors car. I have a friend with a '69 chevelle that is puting out about 425hp and he is using a munice 4 speed so i know it can handle the power of a 350and he has a extra one that he will sell to me for about $100.00. The only problem is that he has a big block and i will have a small block and i dont know if they are interchangable or if it will fit in my datsun? Any information will help.

Welcome! First off a '73 model is a 240Z, not a 280Z. A Muncie 4 speed will fit either a sbc or a bbc. As for fitting in a 240Z, you will have to widen the tranny tunnel for the shift linkages, but it can be done.

There are many different Muncies... There are early 7/8 countershaft, late 1" countershaft. Close ratio with 2.2 first gear, wide ratio with 2.52. Also a reduced angle helical gear in close ratio known as M22. Some late Muncies have 26 spline input shaft. Early ones 10 (I think...) Like Mike said, they will work with either SBC or BBC.

The Muncie has the distinctin of being the closest ratio production 4 speed ever made in M21/M22 livery. IME, if it is a close ratio trans you will want at least 3.90 gears which won't make a very driveable car., but $100 is an excellent deal.