HybridZ

LS1 conversions/xmembers/accessory mounts

I've eagerly followed Phantom's running reports on his LS1 conversion with an old familiar feeling: the sinking sense that my current LT1 will be keeping company in the storage cube with my original 350 csb and that I'll be laundering some income for a good cause. Yep, 'cause the 'while and here, I might as well do it syndrom has me by both neck and pocket book. Ah, but I digress. Back to the post. Has John's Cars committed to producing the x-member or accessory bracket used by Phantom?

Search brings up photos of two different x-member motor mount approaches, but I find no photos of any Ls1ers solutions for accessory mounts. Are there any posted or were they lost in the transition to php? I' mworking with a '70Z and need AC, a 140 amp alternator, and PS. Any direction re: accessory mounting?

thanks

gw

In one of the recent LS1 posts we discuss the best options for motor and accessory mounting. If you use another crossmember behind the stock one, and the Corvette mounts, and remove the Datsun motor towers, then you can mount all the accessories with the standard FBody brackets. The only issue is the A/C bracket has to be shaved by 1/2 inch.

This is the technique being used by Cyrus and a few others. Someone (Maichor?) has even posted measured drawings of his 2nd crossmember.

In my appliction I have forgone trying to add power steering. I drove the car for 10 years without it and the LS1 is not heavier than the L28 so I think I'll be fine with the non-asisted rack & pinion. That being said - My AC compressor is mounted in the location where the power steering pump is on the LS1 - high on the drivers side. The alternator is mounted below it. This particlar arrangement allows using the stock LS1 idlers and tensioners and the original accessory drive belt.

No = John has not absolutely confirmed that he will offer his mounts - motor, transmission, AC - but he has asked that I not publish pictures of them so that indicates that he is thinking along those lines. The best way to find out is to ask him. He can be contacted at John@johnscars.com or 214-426=4101. Ask and ye shall receive.