HybridZ

GT30 on a L28 in a 240Z

Guest RPMZ

Guest RPMZ

Recently I’ve replaced my T3/T04 old turbo for a Garret GT30 unit with .82 exhaust housing and external 32mm gate with great results which I thought I should share.

However there is a restriction in the setup somewhere as the motor didn’t want produce more power up the top end, as the turbo is capable of producing much more power.

The motor used to make 193 kw (260hp) at the wheels and now it makes 213 kw (287hp) at the wheels on Dyno Dynamics dyno on 20-21 psi.

Peak power went up only 20kw, but the power delivery made huge difference. Everything happens about 1000 rpm earlier and the power hangs in longer. At 100km/h in 3rd gear the car nearly gained 60rwkw and the turbo spools up much quicker. When I took the car recently to a circuit it was much faster as it pulled out of the corners much harder at lower revs and it spools so much faster than the T3/TO4 unit.

When looking at the both units side by side you can see how much better design are the wheels in the GT series turbo.

At the drag strip on an extremely humid day (83% humidity) the car did:

12.12 @ 116mph, 12.17 @ 117mph and 12.2 @ 117mph. The best 60ft†was 1.96.

All runs were done on pulp fuel and 18†wheel with semi comp Dunlops with normal tyre pressure as I wanted to see what the car would do as is on the street. Also the suspension is 300% stiffer than standard, as the car is set up for circuit not drag. I am extremely happy with results as the car is very user friendly and still averages 22-24 mpg. I will be going back to the strip to try to get into 11s and reach the magic 120mph.

I highly recommend GT30 turbo for L28 as it makes a great turbo for circuit as it makes boost from 2700 rpm, but it still has great top end.

jkturbo.jpg

Old Turbo vs New GT30

jkdyno.gif

Below are two 12 sec passes videos:

12 sec run no.1

12sec run No. 2

For details on the car visit my site...

or

AUTOSPEED article

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the HybridZ crowd. I think you will find this forum is one of the best on the net.

Beautiful car by the way!!!

Is your GT30 turbo a ball bearing center section?

Your 1/4 mile times are impressive. A little more power and you will be in the 11's. :rockon:

Guest RPMZ

Thankns jgkurz .... yes it is ball bearing. I don't think I'll be getting any more power out of the motor as I have recently got an RB26 which will be going in one day, so I rather save my money for that. I think I'll just try to improve my driving skills as I know I can improve my 60' times.

Lockjaw.... I don't have a graphs in rpm scale as I am running a CDI and the the dyno had problems reading the signal. The power peak is just before 5000rpm. I would've like to seen that gragh too...... :( i