HybridZ

L6 died, fix it or use an LS1?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, it seems my '82 ZX n/a is on the last leg of its dying cycle. It needs lots of engine work, but the car isn't rusted and is still in good mechanical (non engine related) shape. My dad and I are trying to FULLY price out an LS1 conversion (auto or manual), and I have a few questions. I can't find anything that talks about the LS1 in particular. I'm looking for one out of a 99 Camaro Z28 (my uncle works for chevy, I can get the engine). I'd also use the tranny out of the same car if possible. Anyone here heard of this combo?

1. Does the LS1 mount like the other SBC's?

2. What tranny should I go with? I love my 5 speed, but I hear the auto can be better for traction. Sounds kinda boring to me, but if you have experience and think this is a wiser choice, I may reconsider.

3. Is an LS1 swap like the other swaps? Does anyone know of specific differences I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

There is no pre-made kit for the LS1 engine. Its motor mounting is different from the classic Chevy smallblock. There are a couple of pioneers at the moment that are working on this swap: I personally like the way that Jeromio is going about it. He appears to be a good fabricator (better than I could be!) and his swap seems to be going nicely. Look at his website at 240z.jeromio.com

If you are going to get a 99 LS1, I'd get the T56... The stickshift purist in me lusts after that transmission.

Hey SamH

I have the LS1 and 4L60E in my 73 Z. The automatic trany is a little borring at times but I think in the long run it makes for a better car. The automatic is a little easier on the rear end and half shafts. Buy the JTRs Datsun V8 conversion manual, and the Chevrolet TPI and TBI engine swapping manual. Neither of these books deals with the LS1, but are great sources for ideas, and parts sourcing. If you get a motor from one of the F-body cars, their will be several things you will have to Edit from the computor. Example the VATS system, the rear O2 sensors, and others. This is a fuel injected motor and needs a 59 PSI fuel delivery system. This is explaned in the TPI swap manual. I live in Mesquite TX, not to far from Katy maybe 200 miles, feel free to E-mail and set up time to look at the car. It took me about 2 months of every day working to do this swap. It was a first time experence in this sort of thing.

• Like 1