HybridZ

Guest Your Car is Slow

an LT5 is a very unique engine. Read that to mean its very expensive not only to purchase....but to mod as well.

It was designed by mercury marine for use in the ZR1 corvette only. Very Very badass motor....but you pay for it :)

It is a nice piece of engineering, but it only put out a little over 400 HP. In fact a number of articles claim the LT4 engines were underrated in HP in part to make the LT5 look worth the money.

The thing I remember reading is the cams were completely differenent profiles. Each cam fed a completely different intake tract. One was set up for low RPM and the other only came into play at high RPM. The computer interacted with the cam in a unique way, I think it could actually disable the high RPM cam somehow. Supposedly made the car drivable at all RPM's.

The engine has come up here more than once, but like said the price and lack of performance parts makes it too rich for the Z crowd. Also Cheby really limited the numbers of ZR1's built, so the people who bought them were more collectors than racers. This ubdoubtably cuts down on the chances of finding one in a JY

IMO the advent of the 405 HP all aluminum LS6 engine has really dimimished the performance appeal of the LT5. Much better off building up an LS1/LS6.

It was designed by mercury marine for use in the ZR1 corvette only.

Designed by Lotus, built by Mercury ;) Yeah, it was badass 10 years ago. Its heavy in part because its quad cam (cam swap is going to be at least $1,000). With LS1s and LS6 beating it like a redheaded step child, its nothing but bling factor, but thats just my opinion. The intake manifold has an adjustable baffling internally, which helps with low end power by closing some of the runner off.

Tim Allen had one in an Imp that supposedly did a burnout for the full quarter, but never having seen it, who knows.

Guest greimann

I have heard that the ZF6 transmission that goes with this engine is extraordinarily wide, requiring that ZR1 Corvettes to have a different floor pan than normal ones. Maybe a modern T56 bolts up????