HybridZ

Wideband / Dyno Question

I have a question...

I was pokein around yesterday in a local Dyno shop, and noticed while looking at the wideband sensor that it looked just like the regular heated sensor I'm using with my TEC2.

It only had 4 wires (gry,blk, 2 whts)

There was a "wideband" black box that it hooked to with a detatchable pigtail.

I could have swore I've seen somewhere that a wideband sensor has 5 wires ?? Are their 4 wire w/b sensors?

Yes, it is a wideband. The 5-wire is the NTK and the 4-wire is the bosch LSM-11 or the LSU-4. The 4-wire uses temperature compensation instead of varying a current in the pump cell like the NTK. It is all good and is what my buddy has on his setup.

BTW, you CANNOT use this type of sensor with the tech as you have NO WAY to account for the temperature compensation. For example, a .88V output might be 11.5:1 at 1300F, but at 1500F the .88V may represent 10.5:1. You have to have the tables for the O2 to decipher the meaning of the voltage vs EGT at the sensor.

Yes, it is a wideband. The 5-wire is the NTK and the 4-wire is the bosch LSM-11 or the LSU-4.

I was affraid someone would say that.. :oops:

I've already showed my ass then. I told the guy that that sensor was not the right sensor to use with the w/b.

I had my car on his dyno last month and the w/b was not working. It was flickering up and down, so I assumed he had the wrong sensor... doh!!

I did see that the pigtail did not allow the wires to swivel while tightening it into the bung, so needless to say, the wires were frayed, hence the bad connection ??