HybridZ

best way to remove paint

Guest chip

Guest chip

Whats the best way to remove old paint. I want to take the whole body down to the bare metal. Anyone tried bead blasting? I am a little worried about warping issues.

Thanks,

Chip

Guest nezzie76

I have used aircraft stripper with a putty knife. It works pretty well and it takes off all the coats of paint. And the best part is that it doesn't warp anything. Just keep it away from anything but metal, b/c it'll eat it.

Guest Anonymous

Find someone that does media blasting. It uses plastic beads so heat and warping are not an issue. When I did mine I started out using the aircarft stripper but I did not have the patients to do the whole car like that. The cost of the stripper for the whole car would have been close the 400 I spent to have it blasted. Mark

Guest Anonymous

And only two gallons to strip the whole car!

After maybe 16 hours, my Z was bare naked! I then washed the car off with water followed by acetone. I then sprayed phoshoric acid on the bare metal. The phosphate left a white film on the metal, which should provide surface rust protection. Soon the epoxy primer will be applied.

0002raw.JPG[/img]

Guest chip

Brad D,

Have you painted your car after soda blasting? How did the paint adhere? I have heard some stories about paint peeling off after Soda blasting. Also have heard some people that swear by it.

Guest Anonymous

Racerx,

I am open to suggestions so far as paint brands. All I know is, is that even though I live in a large city, paint suppliers seem to be few and far between. I am the type of guy who would like to walk in a place and see what is available, and maybe learn something from a proffessional.

Since I am not to far from Eastwood Products ( about 40 miles), I thought I might take a trip to their store and check out all of their goodies and House of Kolor paint.

In the end I would like to go with a dark grey metalic. So I think black epoxy primer is what I need first. Please correct me if I am wrong, Wise One :hail::hail::hail:

Guest Anonymous

Hello Again, RacerX !

I do appreciate your input. Thank you! I have saved almost every post or recommendation that you have made to this forum. Your advice always seems to be well thought out.

I would have predicted that you would recommend PPG DPLF. I do have to find a dealer here.

I am going to epoxy prime the bare metal first, then do the minor fill work that needs to be done. Just as you suggested.

This project is the first attempt for me so far as a real spray finish. I am getting a bit anxious, I am looking forward to using my new spray gun!

Since my garage is quite large, I am in the process of building a clean room, for painting.

I will keep you posted on the progress. Thank you for being there!

Guest Anonymous

RacerX,

The more I can read about this, the better. I am curious to see what a home paint booth should look like.

I do have experience with real paint booths. I provide "start-up" service for Weather-Rite. They build make-up air units for booths as well as many other applications. Amazing stuff.

Thanks again!

This project is the first attempt for me so far as a real spray finish. I am getting a bit anxious' date=' I am looking forward to using my new spray gun!

[/quote']

OC, whatever you do, don't get rushed. You'll really regret cutting corners on your bodywork/prep. I'm sure that RX et. al. will agree that 90% of a good paint job is the prep work to get the surface ready for color!

I've spent over a year so far on just bodywork and prep and I haven't even 'blocked' the car yet :shock::cry: The color shoot will be probably the last 1% of the entire body/consmetic process!

Also depends on the color you're planning on shooting. White is VERY forgiving on shoddy bodywork, whereas dark colors like black will show EVERY slight imperfection!!

Good luck,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

I appreciate what you are saying, in reguards to rushing into the finish. I guess what I meant is that the bare steel needs some protection on it asap.

Of course it would be nice to get the color on before the end of the summer. This may be possible for me since I have minimum body work to do. Well, at least that's what I think now. The story may change once I start block sanding off the trace coat.

OC ... Wow that paint remover did a great job! I am having major problems getting all of my paint off. Which could be me applying it wrong, poor remover, or a combination of both! What brand did you use??? How did you apply it?? Thanks I hope to get to where you are soon!!!

Guest Anonymous

Demidion,

I used "Aircraft Stripper" made by Krud-Kutter. I purchased at Pep Boys at $29 and change per gallon.

I used less than two gallons. I spilled about a pint at a time in a plastic pail and applied it to the car with a cheap china bristle brush. Just paint it on a bit heavy (about 1/8th of an inch thick), and let it sit for a few minutes. You will be able to watch it work. I used a plastic putty knife to scoop off the stripper and paint. Some areas needed additional application. The stripper will also melt away body filler with multiple applications.

Wear heavy gloves, elbow length if you can get them (Home Depot has them). Eye protection too. Maybe a rubber apron. I used some old clothing and Reboks. The stuff did weld itself to the shoes. The clothing did not stand going thru the laundry many more times after. The stripper will kill the life out of cotton. The stuff will burn like hell. The used remover and paint will harden overnight, so be careful what it gets left on. You can "re-melt" the hardened stuff with fresh remover.

Have fun! The car looks good in silver!

Guest Anonymous

RacerX,

Thank you very much for the Home Paint Booth article. I will post a picture of my paint room and details as soon as complete.

You are the Guru!

Guest cowboy6280

Can someone please tell me just what "soda-blasting" is? I havent heard of this before. In the next few weeks I plan on starting to totally strip my car down and would like to have some options before I start.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...