HybridZ

V8 vs V6 T5's

strotter

In addition to the noted spline, Gear ratio. The 2.8 V6 trannys have gear ratios similar to the Nissan T5. Also, depending on whether it was in a Camaro or S series truck gear ratio variances exist. There are other differences as well like shifter location. I've seen them run behind mild small blocks, but you will break it sooner rather than later. Supposedly the 4th gen 3800 V6 F-bodies had World Class 5 speeds and I have heard (unverified!) that it is the same as the Ford World Class box.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a WC T5 from a 2000 Camaro with V6. I also have a WC T5 from a V8 powered 91 Camaro. I havent opened up the cases yet, but externally there are a few differnces. The mounting flange on the front of the gearbox where it attaches to the bellhousing is much narrower on the V6 tranny. The newer V6 transmission also has a hydraulic throwout bearing, rather than a typical slave cylinder/fork setup. The input and output shafts appear to be the same spline count on both models. Hopefully I can find an aftermarket V8 transmission case for my V6 tranny so I can use it behind my small block chevy. Does anyone know if somebody makes these?

Mike

As I said above, I have heard that the V6 tranny is the same as the Ford. Maybe a rumour, but it just MIGHT bolt up to an adapter bellhousing designed for putting a Ford tranny behind a SBC. Both Mcleod and Lakewood manufacture such an animal. You might be able to find dimensions on their websites. PAW is a McLeod dealer, and everybody seems to carry Lakewood (another Mr. Gasket Co.) You can also go to http://www.advanceadapters.com and check out what they offer. They have lots of trans specs and dimensions in their buyers guide even though most is for trucks.

It seems that the T5 from the newer F body cars IS the same unit used in the fords. Bolt pattern appears to be the same on both. I dont know if the ford version uses a hydraulic throwout bearing though. I checked the Tranny under a 91 V6 camaro, and it has the same bolt pattern to attach to the bellhousing as the 91 V8 model. I didnt pull it to check if it was a WC or not, as there was an ant hill right under the car. They looked plenty pissed off as well, and I figured I shouldnt push my luck. Might bring some RAID to the junkyard this weekend and get me another tranny. :twisted: