HybridZ

turbos, are they car specific

Guest polarity

Guest polarity

are turbo's car specific. I ask my friend has a cavalier he would like to put a turbo into, but the only person he can find that sells them asks about 2500.. Any info you guys can give me would be great

Guest polarity

thanks for the info.

from what I'm reading there, almost any turbo will work with almost any motor, as long as you get your intake/exhause modified to make room for the turbo?

Seems fairly simple so far.

Billy

Not quite, you have to get a turbo sized roughly to the engine. If you put a huge turbo on a small engine (I'd imagine a T78 on a stock Honda 1.6L engine would be a good example), the engine won't move enough air to spin up the turbo for a good part of its RPM range, i.e. you'll have a lot of turbo lag. If you put too small a turbo on an engine (hmm...T25 on a Datsun L6 maybe) then the turbo probably can't move enough air to keep up with the engine at the top of its rev range, and additionally you may spin it too fast and damage it. I'd say at bare minimum for a DIY project, I'd figure out what size turbo production cars (or aftermarket kits) of similar displacement used and try to find something similar. Or, you could probably call a company like Turbonetics or another turbo-oriented business and ask for a recommendation as to what would fit your displacement/horsepower goals.

After you mount the turbocharger, there's other things to worry about like making sure the fuel system is up to the task of feeding enough fuel in the right proportions to the amount of air sucked in. A lot of people recommend the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell (?), I haven't read it but I've heard it covers pretty thoroughly what's involved in turbocharging cars.

• 3 weeks later...