HybridZ

What engine to swap?

Guest dr_pepper

Guest dr_pepper

Hi, I recently bought a 75 datsun 280z and am going through with an engine swap. I can get a 350 and 454 for cheap. The question that i am asking is will a 454 even fit? What kinda extra weight would be involved with the 454 over the 350? and will it even be worth it for the 454 over the 350?

any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

First of all welcom aboard! :D

What you need to do next is utilize the search function located in the upper right corner of the page. This is the most valuable thing on this site. Also read the very first post on the Chevy page...http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19186 This will answer many of your beginner questions.

There has been lots of people who have talked about putting a big block chevy (BBC) in there cars but not too many people have done it. In fact you can probably count all of them with your fingers! It is very time consuming because there is a lot of fabrication required. I'm not saying it can't be done but there is no real point to put a BBC in your Datsun unless you plan to only drag race it. With all that extra weight up front it wont handle very good so you will lose the sports car and now have a drag car. Which is fine as long as you want that.

If you want big power build a 350 up and use a supercharger. You will have more than enough power and it will still handle way better than a BBC conversion!

Anyways.........

Guy :D

Guest dr_pepper

thanks for the response. I used the search button but it didnt really get my questions answered. I am wanting to keep the handling so i am going to dump the idea of a bb. Thanks

I have seen one write up on a big block Z and I've only heard rumors about others. The one with the write up was very extensive. The guy had cut the car in two at the fire wall, completely removed the firewall, and was in the process of welding in about a 6 inch extention to lengthen the car. Sad thing was as far as I know the guy never finished the car.

There is a member on this site, Darius, who is a bit of a legend with his blown SBC Z. He said he could scare his passengers because the car would lite up the tires at 70+ MPH and start walking side to side as the tires spun.

I guess a BB would do better, but to take the HP and torque beyond Darius's Z , it would probably be best to build a full frame with a 9 inch ford rear end and just kind of tack a Z body on top. At that point you would have to ask yourself why you didn't start with a 69 Camaro in the first place. Or better yet, a Cobra kit car.