HybridZ

A call for help in the Bay area

innerware

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am posting here cause I know it is highly looked over. I have been told that my clutch is going. Now that it has been hot in Oakland my clutch has been slow to reset after I shift. Real sluggish. I was told by the Z Doctor over the phone that it sounded like the clutch is going. Does this sound right?? My next question is does 575.00 sound high for a clutch job parts included? I am sure they mark up parts a lot so I can probably save 100.00 if I bought my own. But is this high? Next, does any of you know anyone who would do it for less? is there any of you that would take it on yourself? I can most certainly help. I have a slightly slopping parking spot and only have two small jack stands, so I can't do it myself. I am a draftsman and have access to a laser cutter and small casting ability, so I can help others with some stuff if needed too. I just don't want to spend a fortune if I don't have to.

As always any help is greatly appreciated. I don't know how long I have untill it quits and it is my daily driver, so any posts soon is also appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

See my email to you about Express Auto Clinic--they are VERY capable and honest IMO.

That price sounds buttugly high IMO. The older Nissans/Datsuns are so simple to work on, it is highway robbery to charge that much, even in the Bay Area.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

A stock clutch replacement is about $100 from Clutch Masters. It comes with a Pilot bushing, Pressure plate, clutch disk, and alignment tool. It's important to have the flywheel turned too. About $25 at the local auto machine shop.

$575 sounds alittle rich to me... and its not to hard to do. Why don't ya spend a couple of day's and do it yourself? Its not to hard to do if ya have some tools. I think if you had a 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, 19 and 21mm sockets/open ended wrenches, you could do this your self... provided you have a place to do it, and some safety equipment... jack and stands.

If I was you... I would look into this issue more. It might be a issue with your master and slave cylinders.

Dennis

Let's think it through. Do you know how many miles are on the clutch? If you have been doing normal driving it should be good for at least 70,000 miles. Have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder? Is it low? Have you had to add fluid regularly? Can you pump the clutch pedal and get it to work better - kind of like pumping your brakes? That could indicate a leak and air in your clutch line. Have you looked at the area around your slave cyclinder to see if it's wet indicating a leak? Have you looked at the area aound your master cylinder and proportioning valve to see if there are any leaks ther? Have you run your hand up on the inside of the firewall to see if it is wet up by your clutch pedal? That would indicate a failing master cylinder. Have you checked the vacuum to your brake booster? Any holes or leaks in it?

Now assuming you still need to change the clutch do you want to be able to do it yourself or do you really want someone else to do it? If you want to do it yourself find a friend who has a good flat spot where you can work and buy the necessary parts, jackstands and hand tools and rent a transmission jack. For the difference in just the parts and what that guy is asking you could still save money and end up with a bunch of handy to have tools & stands. If you want someone else to do call about a dozen shops in the yellow pages. You'll find one that will do it for less. Just make sure they realize you have a RWD car, not a FWD.

i think 575 is a good price myself. shops do charge 75-90 in the bay area, and a good sized markup on the materials of course, they do have overhead to deal with and they have to pay the mechanic to do it on top of that, it is a luxury to have someone else work on your car IMO.

Guest livewire23

if its as easy as everyone here claims it is I'd do it for you. But my garage is currently full as I work on my turbo swap. I agree with the others, do it yourself or call around and find a shop that'll do it for a more reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the master ans slave cylinders Fri. That was it. It shifts fine now. You should have seen the old fluid and cylinders. What a mess. Guess I should have inspected those a while ago. They pretty much fell apart in my hand when I took them off. Wow what a difference. I'll replace the clutch soon enough though. I am learning. Untill Fri I had never even bled a line before. Now I know how to replace the cylinders and it was easy. Hardest part was getting the wrong parts first. Once I got the correct part it took like 1/2 hour to do it all and adjust the pedal. I feel like a pro. Thanks for the words of advise. This web site is the best.

Domino effect aye?? If I didn't have a limited budget right now I'd be fixing everything. Since I got my Z 2 or so years ago I have been learnig to do everything that I can. Each new thing is new to me so it usually required a lot of planning and asking questions. I think that I am at the point though where anything seems do able to me. This summer however my plans are:

New fromt calipers, custom fiberglass center console, some minor rust work, new bushings throughout, rear shocks.

That is probably more than I can afford right now but it is in the my plan. Anyway it sure does feel good to to things on my own. And no spending $$$ on labor.